For those of you who are wondering what I'm wittering on about - I'm referring to painters who start and complete a painting in front of the subject - in the open air ("en plein air"). Here's an extract from an earlier post of mine about Painting from Life
Here are the plein air painting weblogs (as opposed to plein air websites) that I'm aware of:
"Plein Air Painting" is a term derived from French and is frequently used to describe painting from life in the open air and out of doors and away from the studio. It's also sometimes used as a euphemism for painting nature and the natural world. There's a good description of plein air painting and how it came about on the website of the Plein Air Painters of America. There is a further succinct glossary entry defining "plein air" on the Tate Gallery's website.
- "A Brush with Life" Frank A Edwards
- "A Plein Air Painter's Blog" - Michael Chesley Johnson
- "Art and Life - a Plein Air Blog" Jan Blencowe
- "In Sight" Brian Cragun
- "Just Plein Air" Diane Weintraub
- "Life Plein Air" - Ed Terpening
- "Linda Blondheim Studio" Linda Blondheim
- "Paintings" Wyn Easton
- "Paintings of France Italy and Beyond" Jennifer Young
- "Plein Air" - Rebecca Grantham
- "Plein Air Painters of Chicago"
- "Verde Artist Guild" (for plein air painters in Northern California)
I'm going to put a link to this thread in the landscape / plein air painting section in the right hand column and I'll update this list with the names and links of any blogs which are primarily about plein air painting which people highlight in the comments section. (For updates please see end of this post)
However, I will not be including:
- weblogs like this one - which I wouldn't consider to be primarily about plein air painting, despite the fact I post plein air work, as I post about a lot of other things as well.
- weblogs which don't yet have a track record of regular posting (but alert me when they do!) or are not updated on a regular basis
- the websites of plein air painters (unless they include a blog with a separate URL and a comments facility) as I'm focusing on blogging (and there are a multitude of websites associated with artists painting plein air!)
Additional blogs include:
- "California Painter William Wray" (a personal favourite)
- "Freiluftmaler" Martin Stankewitz (another personal favourite - stunning drawings)