Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Sketches from Tatton Park

Last Saturday, I sketched at Tatton Park - these are views of the rear of the recently restored Japanese garden and the view of the park from the Italian gardens just in front of the house.
Tatton was one of those places I used to go when I was young - a special treat was rolling down the terraced lawns - the terraces were just wide enought to allow some speed to be generated and the rolling to be spectacular.

Nowadays I'm rather less mobile and mother (in her late seventies) is even less so. For those who like visiting gardens but have difficulty walking, Tatton is an excellent place to visit as it provides electric wheelchairs of the sort you see many older people now using to do their shopping. Mother whizzed around gravel paths and on and off grassy banks in one - she even managed the steep slope at the side of the Italian gardens! Fortunately I managed to persuade her to sharpen all my pencils for me before she started getting too ambitious!

The sketches are graphite with coloured pencil in an A4 size Daler Rowney sketchbook - the one with a hard black cover and perforated pages. I drew most of it on site, and then completed a bit more in colour and tonal terms soon afterwards while the images were still fresh in my mind.

Technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. Katherine not only am I crazy about your beautiful work but you have really given me a gift! I live in chicago and have been looking and looking for a group to draw with. Your post on plein air painters included one from Chicago! Thanks so much and I've subscribed to your feed through bloglines. Looking forward to seeing future work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, these sketchbook pages are gorgeous, oh the colors! I especially love the bottom one, a beautiful scene you have captured so wonderfully. I love the way you've drawn these with barely any contour lines, I rely so much on them to describe, you are reminding me to learn to see in other ways.

    (ha, can just see your Mom whizzing around, it's fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful soft modeling in these, Katherine. They make dreamy landscapes.

    Thanks for the plein aire links, too.

    Karen
    http://www.karensblog.com

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.