Friday, April 21, 2006

Hon-Shimeji mushrooms - a drawing


Every now and again I give in to the urge to draw something very precise in graphite. I found these Hon-shimeji mushrooms at the supermarket earlier this week and they've proved to be a fascinating subject to draw - even though they began to dry out overnight and needed to relax in a bowl of water before we settled down for the second sitting............

This is mechanical pencil on a sheet of Arches HP watercolour paper 9 x 12 inches.

Technorati tags: , ,

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful graphite drawing Katherine. I can see why these intrigued you. They are a drawing waiting to happen. There is something fascinating about small versions of anything.

    I love also how your links educate me futher. Thank you!

    I haven't come across these mushrooms here yet, but then again, living on a small island, exotics are the rarity rather than the norm. All part of the charm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making drawings like this one (I mean, precise, tight, smooth) is such a meditative enterprise. Nice rendering.
    L(lines)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful. I love the subtle tones you've achieved in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. Laura - you had it spot on - there's something very satisfying and meditative about pushing graphite around a piece of good quality paper...

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.