It also has a new blog Art Business Info: News. In general the way new posts about the art business will work is as follows:
- Making A Mark: major updates about the art business will continue to be published on this blog
- More minor updates and news about new pages on the website will be published on the new blog
- (NEW SITE) are to web pages on the new site.
- [BRAND NEW PAGE] are completely new and not seen anywhere else before
Other links will be moved to the new site in future weeks - the annotation next to the link indicates whether it's likely to be sooner or later. All will be moved in due course.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BOOKMARK ANY PAGES YOU ARE INTERESTED IN
Communicating with the customer
- how to write an artist's statement,
- the sort of information it should contain,
- records you need to keep and
- how to tackle specific issues
How to write a press release for artists [BRAND NEW PAGE]- a link to my free guide which you can read or download for free
Websites for Artists (NEW SITE)This section aims to introduce you to some of the basics of websites for artists. It will cover:
- Websites for Art Societies
- How to test your website
- Technical Matters
Blogging for Artists (NEW SITE)Are you an artist and want a blog? Or maybe an artist who wants to work on improving your blog? If you are then read on - you'll find links on this site to sources of advice, information, and all other matters which are relevant to blogging for artists and blogging by artists. It focuses first on blogging basics, then on blogging for artists. Finally it covers some problems encountered by artists who blog and how to deal with them
Email Newsletter Software - A Guide (MOVING SOON)Are you confused by the different software options for generating a newsletter delivered via email? You're certainly not alone - and this site is starting to try and sort out what are the free and paid options and how they compare. Plus tips on using newsletters and email.
This section focuses on selling via third parties, selling online and selling direct.
A Guide to Art Dealers and Galleries [BRAND NEW PAGE]This focuses on retail galleries and art dealers and how they operate
Alternative Options for Exhibitions - Vanity Galleries, Pop-Ups etc. [BRAND NEW PAGE]This section covers: Vanity Galleries, Pop-Up Spaces, Art Fairs, Art Market booths and renting space at a reputable Commercial Gallery. Plus why all artists need to do "due diligence" on third parties before they pay money to them so they can exhibit their art
A Guide to Art Agents & Consultants [BRAND NEW PAGE]This focuses on agents for illustrators and fine artists and consultants for corporate clients, art collectors and artists needing art business and marketing advice
Selling Art from Home [BRAND NEW PAGE]This highlights the pros and cons and things you need to think about when selling art from your own home.
How to pack, post and ship art [In transition)Once you've sold you art you now need to get it to the customer safely - How do you pack art? How do you post art? What about international deliveries? What about customs? How do you get it back again? This site doesn't pretend to have the answers to all the very many questions people have about getting art from artist to purchaser or from artist to exhibition and back again - but it's a start!
- Print Art on Demand - Resources for Artists - Are you interested in having your artwork printed using print on demand technology? Do you want to check out who are the suppliers and what people think of them?
- Online Art Galleries and Stores - Resources for Artists - Any number of services want to help you to get your ORIGINAL ART online - but do they actually work and which is the best?
- Sell Daily Paintings - Resources for Artists - Do you want to know more about how to sell daily paintings online - or improve your knowledge about the painting a day movement generally?
Copyright for Artists
Copyright and artists' rights (NEW SITE)This section is about:
- what copyright is and is not;
- what it covers and what it doesn't cover; and
- why copyright is important to an artist or anybody who creates original work
How to protect artwork online (NEW SITE)Covers how to prevent theft and what to do is somebody steals your content
Global Conventions on Copyright (NEW SITE)Information about the major conventions which affect copyright across the world
Copyright in - The UK, the USA, Canada, Australasia (NEW SITE)Individual pages about how copyright works in each of these countries
How to do a reverse image search (NEW SITE)Provides the answers to a number of practical issues If you want to find out
- has somebody has created copies of your photos or artwork on the Internet?
- how do you find the source of an image you want to use?
PLUS COMING SOON
- A Guide to Photography in Public - what you can and cannot do [coming soon]
- Pinterest, Copyright and Spam - for Visual Artists & Photographers [coming soon] - for copyright infringements on Pinterest and what you can do to prevent and resolve this.
Money and Taxes
How to Price Your Art (NEW SITE)Find out more about the importance of price, what your pricing options are and what other artists are doing. It covers:
- How important is price when buying art? - Find out how important prices is to those buying art
- Options for pricing art - How to avoid pricing art disasters + Check out different approaches to "how to price art" - including different formulas for pricing your art
- Terminology and formulas for pricing art - Learn the words used when pricing art. Review what influences different ways of pricing art e.g. identify costs that need to be recovered and learn about how place and venue influences prices
- Art experts on pricing art - Find out what art experts recommend as the best ways to price art
- How artists price their art - Find out how other artists price their art - and which are the most popular
- What's the price of affordable art?
Tax Tips for Artists (NEW SITE)Tax tips by artists for artists - this does not constitute professional advice but gives you a lead on what issues to consider and what questions to ask if you need more advice.
VAT for Artists [BRAND NEW PAGE]Value Added Tax (VAT) is a topic of interest to:
- artists living in the European Union
- international artists wishing to exhibit in the European Union (EU)
- art societies wanting to hold exhibitions involving international artists
- galleries wanting to sell work by international artists in the UK and by UK artists to customers within the EU.
Insurance for Art and Artists (NEW SITE)This provides an overview of different types of insurance relevant to art and artists
- insurance for an artist's assets and art business liabilities
- public liability insurance relating to third parties
- specialist insurance for artists
- specialist insurance for art businesses
Retirement and Pensions for Artists (NEW SITE)This covers:
- Do artists ever retire? Do artists ever make provision for a pension?
- Using art as a pension pot
- Pensions: self-employment vs. paid employment
- Changes to pension planning
- How much state pension will you get (UK)?
- checklist of issues for artists to consider when planning the disposal of their estates
- checklist of issues that art collectors need to get to grips with prior to death
- some of the difficulties which the estates of famous artists have experienced due to mistakes, omissions and poor estate planning
- links to what seem to be useful sources of helpful information and advice.
The Bigger Picture
The Best Art Business Books
For artists, illustrators, galleries, collectors and all those interested in the art business. Do you want to learn more about the business of being an artist?
How to sign a painting, drawing or fine art print (MOVING SOON)
- What's the best way for an artist to sign a painting?
- Should you date as well as sign a painting?
- How should you sign a fine art print?
- How can you identify the genuine signature of an artist?
Whether you are an emerging or experienced artist, this site provides you with a link to information and advice about professional development, marketing opportunities and other matters relevant to the business of being a visual artist.Artists in a Recession (MOVING)
Are you concerned about the impact of the economy on artists and selling art? What will a recession mean for artists? Find out about making and marketing art in an economic slowdown. Topics include:
- rethinking your approach to art
- being business-like
- different ways of marketing art
- what to cut and where to invest
- reducing and avoiding risks