Links below which indicate (NEW SITE) are to web pages on the new site.
Other links will be moved to the new site in future weeks - the annotation next to the link indicates whether it's likely to be sooner or later. All will be moved in due course.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BOOKMARK ANY PAGES YOU ARE INTERESTED IN
Communicating with the customer
- how to write an artist's statement,
- the sort of information it should contain,
- records you need to keep and
- how to tackle specific issues
How to write a press release for artists (NEW SITE)- a link to my free guide which you can read or download for free
Websites for Artists (NEW SITE)This section aims to introduce you to some of the basics of websites for artists. It will cover:
- Websites for Art Societies
- How to test your website
- Technical Matters
Blogging for Artists (NEW SITE)Are you an artist and want a blog? Or maybe an artist who wants to work on improving your blog? If you are then read on - you'll find links on this site to sources of advice, information, and all other matters which are relevant to blogging for artists and blogging by artists. It focuses first on blogging basics, then on blogging for artists. Finally it covers some problems encountered by artists who blog and how to deal with them
Are you confused by the different software options for generating a newsletter delivered via email? You're certainly not alone - and this site is starting to try and sort out what are the free and paid options and how they compare. Plus tips on using newsletters and email.
On this site you can find:
- a checklist of things to think about when choosing email newsletter software
- a list of free webware which allows you to deliver newsletters online
- a list of paid software sites which can deliver email newsletters (note some are dedicated and others are a function within a bigger package)
- lots of tips on what to do when using email newsletters
Copyright for Artists (NEW SITE)
Copyright and artists' rights (NEW SITE)This section is about:
- what copyright is and is not;
- what it covers and what it doesn't cover; and
- why copyright is important to an artist or anybody who creates original work
How to protect artwork online (NEW SITE)- covers how to prevent theft and what to do is somebody steals your content
How to do a reverse image search (MOVING SOON)- If you want to find out whether somebody has created copies of your photos or artwork on the Internet
A Guide to Photography in Public- what you can and cannot do [coming soon]
Copyright Law in Different Countries: (NEW SITE)
- Global Conventions on copyright e.g. Berne Convention
- Copyright in the UK
- Copyright in USA
- Copyright and intellectual property in Canada
- Copyright and intellectual property in Australia
This section focuses on selling via third parties, selling online and selling direct.
Art Competition and Juried Open Exhibitions - often considered as a shortcut to generating interest from galleries
Online Art Galleries - this provides a guide to the range of places you can place your art online and whether or not they get any traffic
How to Sell Art Online (MOVING SOON)Do you want to know how to sell art online - or improve your knowledge of e-commerce for artists?
This site helps you find out about selling art via your websites, blog, shopping carts, auctions, online galleries, online stores, print on demand and email marketing and how to drive traffic to where you sell your art online.
How to pack, post and ship art - Resources for Artists (NEW SITE and moving)
How do you pack art? How do you post art? What about international deliveries? What about customs? How do you get it back again? This site doesn't pretend to have the answers to all the very many questions people have about getting art from artist to purchaser or from artist to exhibition and back again - but it's a start!
Print Art on Demand - Resources for Artists (MOVING SOON)
Are you interested in having your artwork printed using print on demand technology? Do you want to check out who are the suppliers and what people think of them? Find out about:- what is print on demand / publish on demand?
- suppliers of print on demand services for art - and reviews
- suppliers of print on demand services for printed publications (eg marketing materials and books)
Online Art Galleries and Stores - Resources for Artists (MOVING SOON)
Any number of services want to help you to get your ORIGINAL ART online - but do they actually work and which is the best? If you're trying to find out more about online art galleries and print-on demand services this is the site for you! Do some research before you make a decision as to which online art gallery or print-on-demand service to use and AVOID BEING DISAPPOINTED with the choice you make. Unlike their offline counterparts (who provide customers with independently audited data), it's very difficult to get marketing data about traffic from the companies. In contrast, this site provides charts created by a third party (compete.com) which uses the same source data for US traffic for all sites to make it easier to compare the traffic they each receive.
Sell Daily Paintings - Resources for Artists (MOVING SOON)- driving traffic to your blog or website
Do you want to know more about how to sell daily paintings online - or improve your knowledge about the painting a day movement generally? Check out this site to find out about websites which aim to help daily painters to sell their art online. Whether you are an emerging or experienced artist, this site will provide you with a link to information and advice about:
- find out about tools and webware which can help with ecommerce for daily painters
- reviewing the various sites offering to help you sell your art online
Money and Taxes
This section provides advice and information about:
How to Price Your Art (NEW SITE)
Find out more about the importance of price, what your pricing options are and what other artists are doing. It covers:
- How important is price when buying art? - Find out how important prices is to those buying art
- Options for pricing art - How to avoid pricing art disasters + Check out different approaches to "how to price art" - including different formulas for pricing your art
- Terminology and formulas for pricing art - Learn the words used when pricing art. Review what influences different ways of pricing art e.g. identify costs that need to be recovered and learn about how place and venue influences prices
- Art experts on pricing art - Find out what art experts recommend as the best ways to price art
- How artists price their art - Find out how other artists price their art - and which are the most popular
- What's the price of affordable art?
Tax Tips for Artists (NEW SITE)
Tax tips by artists for artists - but this does not constitute professional advice but gives you a lead on what issues to consider and what questions to ask if you need more advice.
VAT for Artists (NEW SITE)
Insurance for Art and Artists (NEW SITE)
What should happen to the art after an artist's death - or the death of an art collector? It's an issue which people often avoid dealing with - sometimes until it's too late. This site highlights:
- checklist of issues for artists to consider when planning the disposal of their estates
- checklist of issues that art collectors need to get to grips with prior to death
- some of the difficulties which the estates of famous artists have experienced due to mistakes, omissions and poor estate planning
- links to what seem to be useful sources of helpful information and advice.
The Bigger Picture
Do you want to know more about the business side of being an artist? Or maybe you're looking for a particular piece of business information for artists? Whether you are an emerging or experienced artist, this site provides you with a link to information and advice about professional development, marketing opportunities and other matters relevant to the business of being a visual artist.
Art and the Economy - Resources for Artists (MOVING)Are you concerned about the impact of the economy on artists and selling art? What will a recession mean for artists? Find out about making and marketing art in an economic slowdown. Topics include:
- rethinking your approach to art
- being business-like
- different ways of marketing art
- what to cut and where to invest
- reducing and avoiding risks
How to sign a painting, drawing or fine art print (MOVING SOON)
- What's the best way for an artist to sign a painting?
- Should you date as well as sign a painting?
- How should you sign a fine art print?
- How can you identify the genuine signature of an artist?
- How to critique art - Resources for Artists (MOVING)
- If you want to find out about how to deliver - or receive - an art critique try these online links to websites and books which provide information and advice.Different scenarios are covered from the 'in principle' approach through art schools, art groups and school students
- Do you need insurance for your art or artist's studio?
- Are you planning an art class and need insurance for public liability?
- Do want to find out more about insurance for artists?
How to do a reverse image search (MOVING SOON)What is a reverse image search? How do you find who's stolen your art for their website? How do you find the source of an image you want to use? "How to do a reverse image search" provides the answers to a number of practical issues
Insurance for Art and Artists (NEW SITE)
Find about insurance for artists - and art collections