This blog post is about those artists who have been selected to exhibit in the BP Portrait Award 2017 Exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery this summer.
the BP Portrait Award 2017 represents the very best in contemporary portrait paintingHere are some numbers:
- In terms of entries, out of the 2,580 entries from all over the world
- 1,214 Entries came from the UK - England, Scotland and Wales (47%)
- 1,366 Entries came from 84 other countries(53%)
- 218 paintings (8.4%) of the original entries made it through to the final judging session at Trinity Buoy Wharf.
- The judges then reduced this number to their selection of the final 53 for the exhibition (representing 2% of the total number of entries).
|Alan Coulson with his portrait painting selected for the BP Portrait Award 2017|
- links to their websites and
- a short summary of their CV
- some photos of the artists and/or their portraits
SELECTED ARTISTS ARE INVITED to send me a copy of the image of their portrait - to feature in this blog post - along with a copy of their confirmation email. See the side column for how to contact me.
The Best of the Rest
My commiserations to all those reading this who entered but were not selected for the exhibition
- My BP "Best of the Rest" will be published on Sunday (subject to receiving enough images of portraits)
- See my blog post How to enter my BP Portrait "Best of the Rest" 2017 for my invite to those who failed to get selected for the exhibition
- At the end of the post, you can find links to my posts about selected artists in previous years. Taken together these are an excellent method for studying the type of portraiture which gets selected for this award.
BP Portrait Award 2017 - Exhibiting Artists
Yesterday I posted about the artists shortlisted for the prizes - see BP Portrait Award 2017 - The Shortlist.
Today I must congratulate all those artists who have been selected for the exhibition.
- LINKS TO THEIR WEBSITES are embedded in their names in the list below (where available).
- Previous prizewinners are highlighted in red
- Those previously selected for the BP have a link to previous portraits (unless they were in those years of the very irritating exhibitor listings where you have to go through all portraits one by one from the beginning and/or there were a lot!)
- For those without a website see my blog post listed on my Major Art Competitions in the UK page
The Websites of Contemporary Painters in the UK - Get your website sorted BEFORE you enter a juried art competition or miss out on the traffic when the names of selected artists are announced!The photos below are a mix of
- portraits sent to me of work selected for this year's exhibition and
- images of artists with their portraits due to being selected for previous exhibits.