Trumpetvine is a
"site is dedicated to the study, appreciation, and promotion of personal sketching to enhance our travel logs, illustrated journals, nature diaries, art projects and more. "It's been developed by Martha McEvoy - who is extremely successful at keeping her name off the website - I only found it when looking at who produced some of the things on the site. I haven't even begun to explore all the links yet but I have had a good look at the two volumes of Trumpetvine Travels - which is an e-zine in pdf format with wonderful articles about travel sketching and more with lots of illustrations. Both volumes are freely available to download - but BEWARE they are both extremely large files and make sure your printer has got lots of paper as both are 40 pages long.
Sample articles include:
- a sketching kit for the minimalist
- sketchbooking - featuring Barbara Stecher, a Massachusetts artist - her technique "emphasises the process of a keeping sketch journal over the quality any one entry"
- 'Moonlight Chronicles' - featuring Dan Price's e-zine
- Traveling, Drawing and Writing - by Peter Welton (an artist I've met who is a marvellous watercolourist)
- Fountain Pens - the ultimate sketching tool - one of the best articles I've ever read on this topic
- and reviews of numerous books on sketching or sketch journals which I've not seen before but will now be looking out for
All in all 'a jolly good read' - and well worth taking some time over.