Friday, May 12, 2006

My electric eraser

Using an electric eraser for the first time is rather startling - one never knew that a small stub of eraser could move so fast - then it starts to be rather satisfying as you begin to realise that erasing marks will now become a totally different experience. No more frustration with smearing. No more holes in the paper. From now on it's clean living...........

Until time comes to replace the first eraser. Then the virtues and vices of various different models start to emerge.

I won't bore you with the ones which I am less happy and rather will introduce you to my dirt cheap super light battery powered Jakar eraser pen.

The huge advantage of this one for me is its plastic body which means that the only real weight in the pen are the two batteries. This makes it very easy to use. I found that after using it for a bit it really does start to seem like a pen - or rather like a fat pencil which erases rather than making a mark. Used slowly, it removes all trace of graphite and coloured pencil very cleanly. Used quickly and lightly - sort of dabbing action - it can lighten without removing all colour. Replacing erasers and batteries is easy peasy compared to some (pull the eraser out and then use the other end before discarding and replacing). The whole set-up is also amazingly cheap. Jakar is associated with Caran d'Ache and at the Artist and Illustrators Fair last year I bought a load of them (one in every pencil case with spares to lose / file away and forget where you've put them etc etc).

Technical details: Jakar battery powered eraser pen - requires 2 x 1.5V AAA batteries. Artifolk has supplies of the eraser pen for £1.99 and also has supplies of the replacement erasers for 50p.

Technorati tags: , , ,

9 comments:

  1. Fascinating - and so cheap. It's great that you've tested all the other brands for us, so we don't have to go through the pain ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine thanks for the information as I never knew there were electric erasers available. I will be shopping for one very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Electric erasers were a real eye opener for me - and they opened up new ways of working. I hope they do the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Katherine! Thanks a lot for the information and the link. I have got an electric eraser now and it is like a wonder! Thank you!
    Sorry for the appearance of my name. The Google mail was meant only for my daughter. I tryed to change it but for some reason it keeps showing like 'mama' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you like it. I like to spread the word to make sure there continue to be supplies as I don't know what I'd do if they ever disappeared. This is now just as much a drawing implement for me as a pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JetPens.com has cool new colorful electric erasers from Japan. They are very slim and nice. Have you tried any from Hinodewashi?

    http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/34_576

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look nice - very fine tip by the look of it.

    I haven' seen those in the UK - presumably there's Japan and USA only?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I guess so. I have never been to the UK so I'm not sure what friends are available there. But hopefully I will get to visit some time soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katherine, I'm arriving here through your web site. I love how you have represented all three of your hats on your web site...education being one of them. I'm going to get one of these babies.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.