Saturday, May 27, 2006

Sketching at BlueWater

Yesterday I had my annual trip to the opticians to get my eyesight checked and prescriptions reviewed. I've been thinking for some time that I should get some glasses for computer use - so, as my prescriptions had changed, I ended up needing to change the lenses in both my varifocals and reading glasses - and got a new pair of 'intermediate' prescription glasses for the computer. Just a bit expensive - but at least I came away with the reading and computer glasses (stylish blue titanium!) the same day although I have to wait a little longer for my varifocals.

Varifocals are absolutely marvellous for sketching and painting as you don't have the problem of not being able to see either the scene or your paper! When my eyesight first started to deteriorate I was able to manage with little glasses perched on the end of my nose so I looked over them at the scene and through them on to the paper. This stopped working and I switched to varifocals - and have had a great time ever since!

Anyway, all of the testing and fitting took a bit of time - so out came the Moleskine! The first sketch is of the opticians. Mandeep and Fred who were sorting my glasses for me and the others working there were all fascinated by the process, the result and the fact that it would end up in my blog and my sketch got shown to everybody. (Fred would like to draw and, in case he's reading this, I recommended to him the book I always recommend to people who want to learn - which is Betty Edwards's "Drawing on the Right Side of The Brain").

The second sketch is of Pret a Manger where I went for a sandwich while waiting for the new lens to be fitted. It can't, of course rival Wally's Starbucks sketches - but I try!

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

7 comments:

  1. Katherine, as always, you completely stun me with your energy and dedication! Such fun to see these littles slices of Tyrellian life!
    L(lines)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so much energy Laura - just a lot of sitting around! I think they each took about 10 minutes.

    Mind you I did go and have a good walk around Bluewater afterwards so I could justfiy telling Julie I'd walked my mile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful peek into your life Katherine. I love your sketchbooks, they tell such stories and make such wonderful records of life passing by.

    I wished I'd had my sketchbook at the little local supermarket today. There was a wide assortment of interesting people there today from the odd to the very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sketch of a difficult subject, I enjoyed those sandwiches a couple of years back too. Somehow I get the impression that you don`t do much else than sketching or eating or both at same time :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tonal rhythms and expressive marks on the surface...

    Snackin' and sketchin' = a happy commentator.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tonal rhythms and expressive marks on the surface...

    Snackin' and sketchin' = a happy commentator.

    ;-)

    Oh, found you here courtesy of Laura's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you captured a lot (and so well) in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.