Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bluebell beginnings

Coloured Pencil on Arches Hot Press paper; 8" x 12"

This painting started from the sketch of bluebells which were beginning to bloom at Emmetts Garden in Kent 10 days ago. I've used the original sketch, my memories of the feel of the day and colours and reference photographs I took to develop this. Earlier stages are posted below


I think this is very nearly finished. So, I'm going to do what I normally do when nearing completion of a work.
  • I put it where I can see it without looking at it while I ponder whether anything else needs sorting - and I'll leave it there for a few days, probably without doing anything to it.
  • If I'm still not sure I'll then turn it to the wall and leave it like that for a couple of weeks or so andf then turn it back and have another good look.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

12 comments:

  1. You've really captured a sense of place! I feel like I'm walking there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. error in posting - sorry!

    Hi Virginia - welcome to "the merry band of art bloggers" as you so aptly put it. I'd hoped to achieve that effect so am really pleased to hear you say that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely Katherine. I love "my" bluebell wood so much but I never have the time to do it justice. Mine is hornbeam wood, would I be right in thinking yours are silver birch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine,

    This is an absolutely stunning piece!! I am always intrigued by CP work. Don't have the patience to do it myself other than small sketches, but I love seeing what others do with it.

    JanB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Julie and Jan. Julie, yes, they're silver birches. Jan - you'd have a whale of a time if you had a 'proper go' woth CPs - they're great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine, this is amazing! I just want to wiggle my toes in it! Wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you have caught the light and the swathes of ground cover.
    Amazing what pencils can achieve. I'll have to try.Bur then, I set out today to do a scenic landscape 'like Julie' and look what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll find coloured pencils don't need hours and hours to get an excellent painterly effect.

    Only if you want to go for the very tightly controlled photorealistic stuff (I don't!) do you need to spend the huge number of hours on a painting that some people choose to do. Each to his or her own - but I prefer to use that time to do more paintings! ;)

    This work probably took no more than 5-6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply beauiful! i do more watercolors than CP. i should have ago at it sometime. You make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing what you can do with pencil crayon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely...so peaceful. You are amazing with those colored pencils!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.