Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Sketching East London

I am trialling Julie Oakley's exercise and sketch routine mentioned in yesterday's thread "Drawing the UK Countryside" I know I'm not going to be able to manage a daily routine but I thought I'd give it a go.

So armed with Moleskine and a mechanical pencil I set out. We have a network of canals and a network of parks where I live which are wonderful for walks - so I've got one of each.

First the Hertford Union Canal Top Lock - sketched from the Footpath Bridge. The canal and bridge were both opened in 1830. It runs alongside Victoria Park and is now a branch of the Regent's Canal and is part of the Grand Union system.

The next sketch is of a London Plane Tree and rugby posts in Victoria Park. The park was created in 1842 and is of considerable historical interest being the first Victorian park to be owned by the public and designed for recreational use.

Technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. Great sketches Katherine. This makes you see what you likely just passed by previously.

    I like the concept of Julie's challenge but don't know if I have the time to do it consistantly. However, I will be travelling on Friday and for the next 10 days so hope to get some sketching in those flat flat prairies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more a case of actually sketching things I've always thought would make great subjects!

    These days I find I always walk around taking mental snapshots of potential 'compositions'. Taking the sketchbook means I get to do something about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, I'm so pleased you're having a go. I do so love your work. I'm putting a link to here. Jeanette, it seems such a little commitment doesn't it, but we're all so short of time. You could always join but put your own rule changes on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.