Thursday, December 28, 2006

A single pink peony

"A single pink peony"
8" x 11" coloured pencil on Arches Hot Press paper

This is a coloured pencil drawing of a single pink peony which I photographed at Kew in May this year - on the same day as the single peony I drew back in November. I think I need to do one more.

Dull grey days in winter tend to be the time when I to sit and look through all the flower reference photographs I took in the last year during visits to Kew and Wisley and on various travels. I seem to find that if you fill the frame with the subject and have good natural light, the colour coming through in the image produced is fairly close to the original. Of course I'd love to be drawing the original but then I'd love for the weather to be like May as well!

I don't think you would believe just how many pink coloured pencils I had out for this one in my attempt to capture the right pink shade - there are lots of quite subtle colour changes and I still don't think I've got it quite right. However I very much prefer the Polychromos, Pablo and Lyra Rembrandt coloured pencils for doing flowers - they produce a much cleaner finish. Links to the brand sites for these are on my squidoo lens for coloured pencils.

I had a little bit of a search for peony sites as I love peonies and came up with the ones in the links list below. Sadly the UK one seems to be having major problems with its website - but the Canadian one is well worth a visit.

The first of the 2007 Royal Horticultural Society London Flower Shows start on 16-17 January with 'Winter Fragrance'. This will include an exhibition of botanical paintings.

Links:
Technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

  1. you've caught the light through the petals beautifully, and the delicacy. I love the colour changes and the colourful shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A breath of summer in this. Just lovely. The colours are beautiful. I envy those with the ability to render flowers. All mine come out resembling dog's faces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see this one IRL, Katherine. The colours look beautiful and as usual your pencil technique fascinates me. I'm mad about peonies too. We didn't see many in Sydney (outside expensive florist shops), so I'm really excited that I will able to have some in pots this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Katherine. I'm not normally a flower person, but the color palette on this is striking and you've nailed the depth.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.