Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Study of Cosmo

Study of Cosmo
30cm x 24cm
coloured pencils on black Winsor and Newton Lana Tints pastel paper

copyright Katherine Tyrrell

You may remember my cats are trying for a place in the Society of Feline Artists exhibition at the Llewellyn Alexander Galleries in central London later this year. Polly's effort "Polly Paused" can be seen here.

This week Cosmo has been auditioning for his place in the show. Yesterday he sat in brilliant sunlight in the morning which produced this study yesterday afternoon. I like my loose hatching approach (it's why I do it!) and I'll probably try to keep a lot of this as I develop the drawing. It also let me use some very unusual colours in the shadows and reflected light.

I now have to try and decide on the overall composition. My current thinking is that I need to change the overall placement and size of the image. The space on the right hand side needs to maybe be reduced and I certainly need to add some more dark space to the top. Then there's the question of how big to do him. And does "the tail" get a look in. He sat in the same spot later with the tail in the right place so I grabbed the sketchbook and got a quick sketch done!

Does anybody have any more comments or thoughts on the subject. No guarantee I'll take them on board but it's always interesting to hear what people have to think when developing a drawing.

Links:
Technorati tags: , , , , ,

10 comments:

  1. Something looks wrong with the proportions of her neck relative to her feet and legs. Her elongated neck is a function of the way she was actually sitting, I know--but it looks wrong somehow in the drawing---perhaps some indication of underlying structure would help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura. I'd spotted that - but am not too bothered at the moment as this is a quick study - I'll be a lot more careful with the next one.

    Cosmo is a 'he' by the way and is a Somali. They have quite a mane of hair around their heads and necks. He's also got black stockings on his back legs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's one furry cat! Looks like he's enjoying the first of the spring sunshine. I love the colours in the shadows. Look forward to seeing this develop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine, Nice Kitty. I like the yellowish color in the shadows. On my monitor is is the same hue as the yellowish on the sun lit side. I would make the yellow in the sun cooler, lemony. Highlights cool, shadows warm or vice versa. Great pose and colors.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the background, especially the open hatching. Wonderful color choices. Best of luck with your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it a lot but he does need his tail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely Katherine, I like the open hatching very much, you are right , more dark in the background, a block of "dark" and that could highlight the lovely fluffy fur at the front, OR the shape of the back and head, which I like very much, try adding a tail on the scan on the computer, just to see what it looks like. Anyway, its great and good luck with the submission.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments people and yes, this is one furry pussy cat.

    I'm going to be trying the next one with a tail. He uses his tail a bit like a combination of a flag, the royal wave and the laying on of hands. I sometimes think that tail has a personality all of its own. I'm planning another one which has "the tail" in full flag flying mode.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's a beauty, Katherine. I really want to tickle him under the chin and stroke that beautifully rendered fur on his chest. The colours are stunning and the mood is perfect. I look forward to watching you work this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job on the fur. I'm looking forward to seeing the tail one, too. I agree with the other comments regarding proportions, perhaps more modeling of light and shadow for stronger contrast.
    Excellent work

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.