Sunday, March 18, 2007

A new purpose and format for my "Travels with a Sketchbook" blog

The "Travels with my Sketchbook" page from my website
http://www.pastelsandpencils.com/travels_with_a_sketchbook.html

In future, in order to keep all the sketches I do on on my travels in one place, I intend to use my Travels with a Sketchbook blog for all the sketches from various activities associated with my trips to places in London and the UK - as I currently do on my website - see the Travels with a Sketchbook web-page (above) on www.pastelsandpencils.com.

It will also continue to be used, as it has been in the past, for blogging about:
  • the sketches I do on international trips,
  • art kits/supplies for sketch trips and
  • the sketchbooks of other travelling sketchers (focused on people who sketch about places or use categories to collect all their sketches done on travels in one place)
To get this started I'm going to post the images and narrative from past posts from this blog (which a number of people will not have seen) on the Travels with a Sketchook blog. I also want to try and organise and group these sketches better now that Blogger has a labels function. See the new categories (labels) I'll be using for these on Travels with a Sketchbook and the scope of each label.
  • International Sketchcrawls - see 'International Sketchcrawls' label
  • Sketches done of the views seen while travelling either side of the River Thames - see 'River Thames' label
  • Sketches of places in London - see 'London' label
  • Sketches done while visiting National Trust and other heritage sites in the UK - see 'National Trust and UK Heritage'
  • Sketches done while visiting Art Galleries and Museums - see 'Art Galleries and Museums' label;
  • Sketches done while visiting various hostelries (restaurants, cafes, wine bars, pubs) - see 'Interiors - eating and drinking' label
Sketches will still be posted on this blog with a brief narrative - but the more detailed narrative with links will be posted on Travels with a Sketchbook. Given the time sometimes needed to write the narrative, I expect there might sometimes be an interval between the two posts - and I'll indicate this of that happens.

As and when I have the time I'm also intending to post sketches from past international trips and write about the places associated with each sketch.

PLUS
  • I'm going to try and get the sketchbook blog into a new format today to signal this change,
  • Tomorrow I'll start posting the sketches from the International Sketchcrawl yesterday. This includes a special for all my readers in the USA - a view of the place in London where the Pilgrim Fathers embraked to set sail on the Mayflower to travel to Plymouth, Massachusetts. It seemed rather appropriate to start with this as a post for a new kind of blog!
So in summary - what are the changes?
  • For those who just read this blog, you'll see less text with the sketches posted on this blog
  • For those who just like sketches, you'll have a blog which is just dedicated to sketching - plus quite a lot of information about the places I visit.
  • For those who like both I'm afraid it means two places to visit if you want all the information which I like writing about and want to post with my sketches. Mind you it's not a problem if you've subscribed to the blog and got a feed reader or an e-mail subscription. (For subscriptions to either see the top of the right hand column).
Do let me know what you think about this change by using the comments function.

Links:

Technorati tags: , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.