Saturday, March 03, 2007

Drawing a Head: Waterhouse meets the dreadlocks

Drawing Heads, Princes Drawing School, 1st March 2007
20" x 16"; pencil on Daler Rowney heavy cartridge paper
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

I'm back to drawing both models (and bits of other people who are also drawing!), although I'm going to focus in future on making one of them much larger than the other.

These two were a terrific pair. Quite apart from being brilliant life models (no moving or twitching) they had stunning faces and it was difficult to choose which to feature. I've gone for the lady with what I think of as the quattrocento/pre-raphaelite face (very topical for this month's project subject). Isn't her face beautiful - I bet she's in huge demand as a life model. The fact that he had two very long dreadlocks going down his back from the rest of his hair which was in subdued mohican mode made for such a neat juxtaposition I just had to do both of them!

My tenosynovitis kicked in again and so this drawing was done in about 75 minutes before I had to stop drawing. This is all I got done in class, however I might complete the tones for the background wall and overhead beam before posting on my website.

For those of you who have not seen my drawing heads series from drawing class before you can see more in the Drawing Heads Gallery on my website. These were all done during my weekly "Drawing a Head" class at the Prince's Drawing School.

[Update: This post has had to be republished in order to delete the first post which had a major spam comment attached which had sneaked through. Please note - I check the identity of all those who comment and the next time I'm uncertain but my gut says "no" that comment will not be getting the benefit of the doubt as the offending comment did.

Note for all would-be spammers: Please note that Blogger automatically inserts 'no follow' tags after each name link - so you never gain any link love for your blog by commenting on mine]

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Reinstated comment from Jeanette

    Lovely drawing Katherine. Yes she does have a great face to draw. I do enjoy drawing someone with some 'substance' - some distinct features. The guy with the hair is rather interesting too, what fun to draw a unique hairdo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reinstated comment from me

    Thanks Jeanette. I love drawing the 'classic' faces. She had wonderful bone structure - but every time I look at a French pleat I want somebody to show me how to do one!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.