11.75" x 16.5" Coloured Pencil on Canson Mi Teintes
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
On Saturday, I went to the Annual General Meeting of the Society of Graphic Fine Art. Last year I was elected to Associate Membership of this Drawing Society after submission of a portfolio of work (which included the above image - see also link below). At the AGM, I was elected to the SGFA Council as representative of the Associate Members. I'm looking forward to contributing towards the various development initiatives which are already in hand and generally helping with the further development of the Society.
The meeting started with a talk by Dr Libby Horner (a Brangwyn scholar) on Sir Frank Brangwyn (1867 - 1956), an early President of the SGFA. I hadn't realised before quite how versatile he was. I've included a link to the website she's developed as a definitive guide to Brangwyn below.
Although, the primary purpose of the Society is to promote drawing skills by means of exhibitions for both Members and non – Members work, we agreed that we would try and promote drawing to a wider audience through the regular Drawing Days. We had a couple of international guests - one being my blogging friend Shirley - at the last Drawing Day at the beginning of this month. The general view was that this had been both interesting and beneficial for all concerned and we agreed that in future every member will be able to bring one guest.
Anybody interested in joining or exhibiting with the Society can find details on the website of how to join and the 2007 Open exhibition. Submission to this exhibition is not limited to members and a note about the type of work accepted is given below. Do also use the comments function below if you want to know more about the Society
The Society of Graphic Fine Art - 86th Annual Open Exhibition.Venue: The Menier Gallery, 51 Southwark Street, London, SE1 1RU. Exhibition dates: September 11th to 22nd, 2007.
- Submissions are invited for the 86th Annual Open Exhibition of contemporary and traditional drawings, paintings and prints. Drawing qualities will be given priority in selection.
- Suitable artwork for inclusion in this exhibition will be drawings in any medium [ pencil, pen and ink, pastel, scraperboard, charcoal etc ], any original form of printmaking, watercolours and acrylics with evidence of additional drawing [ but NOT pure watercolour, unglazed acrylics or oil paintings].
- The theme this year is ”Chiaroscuro”. Several prizes and awards.
- Non – Members submission fee £8.00 for up to four works of which three will be eligible for jury selection.
- Schedules and further details will be available April/May tba and on our website.
- Closing date for schedules: Saturday 28th July 2007.
- Contact: Hon. Secretary, SGFA Exhibition, PO Box 7727, Maldon, CM9 6WW.
- Website: sgfa.org.uk
- Phone: 020 8655 0221
- Society of Graphic Fine Art
- SGFA - membership
- SGFA - Annual Open Exhibition
- Sir Frank Brangwyn
- Travels with a Sketchbook: Venice Monday May 9th 2005 or what to do when it's both wet and windy!