Friday, December 15, 2006

Christmas dinner at the Cafe Fish

Cafe Fish
8" x 10" pen an sepia ink and coloured pencil in Moleskine sketchbook
copyright Katherine Tyrrell


I had dinner last night with an old friend and we went to the Cafe Fish - just north of Piccadilly Circus in Rupert Street. It just does fish - so we had what seemed like their Christmas dinner version of fish - the Grand Plat de Fruits de Mer and chomped our way through Rock oysters, Dorset crab, whelks, cockles, winkles, Atlantic prawns, mussels & Madagascan crevettes. We took our time as it was very good...........and I wish I had taken a camera. I brought the oyster shells home for still life subjects!

This is the very quick pen and ink sketch I did of the cafe while waiting for my friend. I was drawing globes and then realised I needed to remember to do the reflections of the globes in the windows and spent some time working out what the colour differences were. The light was very subdued (memo to self - must remember to take reading glasses to restaurants!) and the walls are tiled white making dining pleasant but sketching a bit more difficult as the colours all seem very washed out. As always, the staff were intrigued by the sketching and were very nice about it.

I'd taken my coloured pencils with me but didn't do much in the cafe other than indicate a few colour touches. Then went home through Leicester Square - which was packed with people at close to midnight - amidst Christmas revellers and blokes carrying the weird prize they won in the raffle and girls carrying the table decorations which they had spirited away from the Office Christmas Party

And then sat on the tube going home at gone midnight with my sketchbook and coloured pencils on my knee - getting the colours down before I forgot them! Such is my dedication to sketching dear readers!!! ;)

This blog is now taking a short break while I'm away for a long weekend with family and will return in the middle of next week.

Keep drawing those Christmas scenes..................

Links:
Technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you colored it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine - I'm thrilled to see you posting your sketches again. I didn't realise how much I had missed them because all the other information, you so generously gather up for us, is so fascinating. I'm having trouble deciding what I enjoyed most - your lovely sketch (the combination of green walls and glowing soft light) or description of the seafood you ate. I so miss Australian seafood LOL. And belated birthday greetings for you fabulous Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great sketch Katherine as is the previous cafe drawing. The strokes really give the picture movement and atmosphere. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.