The Prize has two aims:
- to encourage the very best creative representational painting and
- to promote the skill of draughtsmanship
It's a well regarded competition and one which looks good on a CV!
The deadline for entry is 5pm (17:00) on Wednesday 16th December 2015
Given that entry is now digital I'd very much encourage artists to at least submit a digital entry. the expenses of framing and getting the work to London are only incurred if your work gets through the initial judging.
It's also a particularly good competition for younger artists given there are two prizes which are limited to younger artists.
|Lynn Painter-Stainers Prizewinners 2015 at the Mall Galleries|
Having a good look at the paintings which won prizes in 2015
What's happened in the past?
It's worth looking at those selected and exhibited in previous years to make an assessment of the sort of art which has a good 'fit' with this competition.
You can see the artwork shortlisted for the Lynn Painter Stainers Prize on the website on the Past Winners page which includes images for all the competitions 2005-2015. This is the link to the 2015 Exhibition and prizewinners
In terms of my blog posts for the 2015 competition here are:
- the names (and websites) of the artists selected in 2015 in Lynn Painter-Stainer Prize 2015: Selected Artists & Events
- the Lynn Painter-Stainers 2015 - Prizewinners
- my Exhibition Review: Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2015.
Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2016
|More of the drawings and paintings selections for the Lynn Painter-Stainers 2015 Exhibition|
at the Mall Galleries
PrizesThis is one of the most prestigious art competitions in the UK. The prizes total £30,000 in value allocated as follows:
- First Prize : £15,000 and a Gold Medal
- 5 Runner-Up Prizes of £1,500 each
- Young Artist Award: £2,500 (The Young Artist Award is for an artist who is 25 years of age or under on 11 January 2013)
- Brian Botting Prize for Works of the Human Figure*: £5,000 (For an artist who is 30 years of age or under)
TimelineThe important dates for this competition are as follows
- 16 December 2015 Deadline for online entries, by 5pm (GMT)
- 8 January 2016 Results of initial judging emailed to artists by this date
- 16 January 2016 Shortlisted artists submit works to FBA 10am-5pm
- 19 January 2016 Results of final round judging emailed to artists by this date
- 22 January 2016 Unaccepted works available for collection at the FBA, 10am-5pm
- 7 March 2016 Private View and Prize Giving
- 7 - 13 March 2016 Exhibition at Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1
- 25 June - 7 July 2016 Guildford House Gallery,155 High Street, Guildford GU1 3AJ
Panel of JudgesThe 2016 judges have not been announced as yet.
Information for Artists
Who can enter
- Living artists over the age of 18, who are resident in the British Isles - irrespective of whether or not they are a British citizen. (However it's unclear what the date is for determining age - which is odd given that two of the prizes are also age-related).
- British citizens living abroad cannot enter.
- Original, two-dimensional works in any painting or drawing media.
- These MUST have been completed in the last three years and not previously exhibited. (Presumably within the three years which ends with the deadline for entry - no date is specified)
- You can submit up to 4 works
- All works must be for sale, except for commissioned portraits.
- The longest dimension of each entry - including frame - must not exceed 60 inches (152 cms).
Entry fees and commission
- Entry is £15 per work (£8 per work for students). The normal entrance fee is reduced £5 from last year - I assume a fee hike might have deterred people from entering as many works as previously
- You can pay using your Paypal account or via Paypal using your credit card
- Commission of 40% + VAT @ 20% will be charged on works sold during or as a result of the exhibition, or by means of the website. This means that you will receive a net sum equivalent to 52% of the price you state.
Stage 1: How to enter
- Entry is digital and online - but digital entry is not mandatory
- Digital Images must be:
- 300 dpi
- file formats: JPG, TIFF, or PNG
- maximum file size of 500KB - which means a pretty small image in terms of dimensions for length and height
- files titled using your name and at least part of the title of the artwork
- Submit your entry online using this online form for the 2016 competition
We are trying to encourage all applicants to enter online in order to reduce our paper usage, and speed up the application process. However, if you are unable to process an application online, please contact Parker Harris for further details about postal entries.
Parker Harris administer the prize - see their LPS competition website not to be confused with THE competition website http://www.lynnpainterstainersprize.org.uk).
- General info
- Rules and conditions
- Help and FAQs
- Downloads and links - no downloads at present
- Contact Parker Harris
The provisions of the call for entries may be waived or varied by the Prize organisers at their discretion. (If you've got a problem it never does any harm to ask!) The judges’ decision will be final and binding.
Stage 2: How to submit work
Some 200 artists selected via the digital process will be asked to submit their art to the Federation of Artists (FBA), 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD on 16 January 2016 between 10am and 5pm.
Work must be accompnaied by completed entry forms and labels, which will be emailed to artists following the initial judging.
A list of approved carriers who can offer collection and delivery services will be sent to the selected artists. See Review of Specialist Art Couriers in the UK for alternative options.
In addition, the artist bears the cost of the risk of damage or loss, however caused, and hence if asked to submit work you should ensure you have arranged adequate insurance cover. (see Insurance for Art and Artists)
Artwork not selected for the final exhibition will be available for collection on 22 January 2016 from the Federation of British Artists (FBA), 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD.
ExhibitionThe Judges will select approximately 100 works for the Annual Exhibition which will be held at:
- the Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1 from 7-13th March 2016. Admission is free.
- Guildford House Gallery 155 High Street, Guildford, Surrey GU1 3AJ 25 June - 7 July 2016 Open daily, free entry
Links to previous posts about the Lynn Painter Stainer Prize and Exhibition
- Lynn Painter-Stainers 2015 - Prizewinners
- Lynn Painter-Stainer Prize 2015: Selected Artists & Events
- £15,000 Lynn Painter Stainers Prize 2015 - Call for Entries
- Review and video of the Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize Exhibition 2014
- Catherine Davison wins £15,000 Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2014
- £15,000 Lynn Painter-Stainer Prize 2014 - deadline approaches
- Lynn Painter Stainer Exhibition 2013: Review
- Lynn Painter Stainers Prize 2013 - Selected Artists
- Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2013: Call For Entries (13 Oct 2012) Overview of Call for Entries for the Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2013 for representational painting.
- Review: Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2012 Exhibition (01 Apr 2012) - review of the 2012 Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize Exhibition yesterday at the Mall Galleries
- Antony Williams wins Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2012
- Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2012 - Selected artists & artwork
- Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2012: Call For Entries
- Rachel Levitas wins Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2010 16 November 2010
- 65 Artists selected for Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2010 28th Oct 2010
- Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2010 - Call for Entries 03 Aug 2010
- Exhibition review: Toby Wiggins wins Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize17 Nov 2009
- Shortlist for Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2009 04 Nov 2009
- 82 works selected for Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 16 Oct 2009
- Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize - selected artists 18 Sep 2008
- Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize 2008 and Exhibition 19 Nov 2008