Friday, February 22, 2013

Who painted this? #17

I spent a long time looking for a painting for this week. One of my basic premises for the paintings chosen is that they must be by painters that are of interest and don't in general produce a one-off wonder.

Who painted this? #18

I was surprised by this painter as I'd never heard of him before and yet feel as if I should have. The next was that this wasn't what this view looked like last time I looked at it!

That's as much as a clue as you're getting!


"Who painted this? #17"?

PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.

Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).

In short:
  • use your brains not software to find the answer
  • search using words only on a database of images
  • leave your answer as a comment on this blog  (This week you can post correct answers one by one if you like.  However you must have ONE comment which summarises ALL the correct answers you have supplied BEFORE next Friday)
  • correct and partially correct answers will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
  • if wrong it will be published
  • do not leave the answer on Facebook!
  • the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know
Who Painted These 10 Popes? - The Answer

The answers are below. I've included links to the painting, the artist and the place where it is now located.  I'm not reproducing the images this week - but you can find them here - Who painted these 10 Popes?

#1

#2
#3
#4
#5 (Trick question - this is in fact a copy of a part of a painting by Raphael - painted in 1518. Bronzino idolised Raphael)
#6
#7
#8
  • Title of the artworkPortrait of Pope Pius V
  • Name of the PopePope Pius V
  • Name of the artist who created this artwork: Doménikos Theotokópoulos a.k.a El Greco
  • Date it was created: c.1605
  • Media used: oil on canvas
  • Where it lives now: Private collection, Paris
#9
#10  (This is the second copy of Raphael's painting of Pope Leo X)
  • Title of the artwork: Pope Leo X (after Raphael)
  • Name of the Pope Pope Leo X  Pope Leo X
  • Name of the artist who created this artworkFernando Botero
  • Date it was created: 1964
  • Media used: oil on canvas m 59.00 in. (149.86 cm.) (height) by 51.00 in. (129.54 cm.) (width)
  • Where it lives now: ?

The correct answers

The first person to provide the correct answer was Jane Gardiner (Glasgow Painter) making this her second win.

As expected the answers came in a lot more slowly and I think maybe some people decided not to participate last week - and then couldn't resist the hunt!

Anyway, I was hugely impressed by the people who got their submissions in and I think I'm right in saying that all those who submitted 10 got 10 correct.  There are various versions of where they are now - but I think that reflects which source was used.

They are (in order of response):
For the record I've personally seen (up close and personal) the Giotto in Assissi, the Velaquez in an exhibition at the National Gallery and (I think) the David in the Louvre!  The Velaquez is well worth making a journey to see.

Beware momentous events that don't happen too often - if a series of paintings might be potentially relevant!




Please note subscriptions only become live after you have verified the link in the email you will receive

16 comments:

  1. I hope that you will post a photo of the scene now that you've mentioned that it doesn't look that way now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maywyn - you need to read the rules

    Your guess is incorrect so you can try again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy - I can't post a photo of the scene as it's in my head. Last time I saw it I was driving a car on the way from an airport to a funeral and no time to stop for photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... painted in the 1700's, maybe the 1600's?
    ...thats where I will start looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally - I have you all stumped! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. David - I will give you a hint. You're too early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it might be a Joseph Constantine Stadler aquatint... but I can't find it!

    Aaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clue #2

    The painting is of the harbour of a place in Scotland which started as a fishing village and went on to become a major port and the home of a major marine industry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No. Nope. Not gonna try even if it is local . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. View of Greenock, Scotland
    Robert Salmon
    1816
    oil on canvas
    26.2x 44.2 inches
    Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, Madrid

    The hint helped. I took a guess that it was Greenock and Google led me to Wiki. My husband's family
    (Carmichael) emigrated to Canada from there in 1832.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh c'mon Jane, you're local!

    Besides, it's the journey of discovery on the way to figuring out the enigma that IS the fun.

    I have discovered many new artists that you will never see books about in the book store. I often get sidetracked and go on bookmarking spree's!

    I may not get this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. David, I did look it up - the clue was just too obviously Greenock - but felt it wouldn't really be fair to post the answer. So glad someone else got there although I am a little sad the clue didn't seem so clear to everyone else

    (also think I should maybe read less art books and do more painting)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.