The links in the names of the exhibitions are to their microsite pages (where available) of the relevant art gallery or museum where you can see them.
So - are you planning to go and see any of these exhibitions?
UK - Major Art Galleries and Museums
- Seduced by Art: Photography Past and Present 31 October 2012 – 20 January 2013 Sainsbury Wing
This looks at early and contemporary photography alongside paintings by Old Masters and reviews how the traditions of fine art have influenced photography. This is the National gallery's first major exhibition of photography.
- Richard Hamilton: The Late Works 10 October 2012 – 13 January 2013 Sunley Room
Richard Hamilton died, age 89 in 2011. This is a retrospective exhibition of his late work and includes art never before seen in public.
- Through American Eyes: Frederic Church and the Landscape Oil Sketch 6 February – 28 April 2013 Room 1
Not a large exhibition - just 30 oil sketches from American collections plus one completed painting 'Niagara Falls, from the American Side' (1867) - but one which many plein air painters will want to try and visit!
- Barocci: Brilliance and Grace 27 February – 19 May 2013
The emphasis is on altarpieces and devotional drawingsNational Portrait Gallery
|Prince Henry and Robert Devereux, 3rd Earl of Essex|
by Robert Peake, c. 1605
Copyright: The Royal Collection
Photo: Supplied by Royal Collection Trust /
© HM Queen Elizabeth II 2012
- The Lost Prince: The Life and Death of Henry Stuart (priced admission) 18 October 2012 - 13 January 2013 Wolfson Gallery
I've popped into this one and intend to go back as it looks absolutely fascinating. It's about the life of Henry, Prince of Wales (1594-1612) who died age 18.
- Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2012 (FREE) 8 November 2012 - 17 February 2013 Porter Gallery
60 portraits by contemporary photographers - read my Review: Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2012
- Man Ray Portraits (Priced admission) 7 February - 27 May 2013 Wolfson Gallery
I'm looking forward to this one as I've heard a lot about Man Ray but I think I've only ever seen his photographs in books. The first major museum retrospective of the influential and innovative artist’s photographic portraits.
- George Catlin: American Indian Portraits (FREE) 4 March - 23 June 2013 Porter Gallery
The remarkable portraits created during George Catlin's five trips to the western United States. He documented the look and dress of Native American people and their way of life.Tate Modern
- William Klein + Daido Moriyama 10 October 2012 – 20 January 2013
Photographs by William Klein and Daido Moriyama of modern urban life modern urban life in New York and Tokyo. This is the Guardian review - Klein and Moriyama at London's Tate Modern – reviews roundupTate Britain
- Howard Hodgkin 4 August – 2 December 2012
An exhibition to celebrate his 80th birthday
- Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde 12 September 2012 – 13 January 2013
This is the largest exhibition of Pre-Raphaelite work since 1984 - and it's proved very popular - I'd definitely recommend booking tickets if you plan to see it over the Christmas / New Year break. Read my review - Review - Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde at Tate Britain
|The Pretty Baa-Lambs (1851-9) by Ford Madox Brown|
oil on panel
Collection: Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
- Turner Prize 2012 2 October 2012 – 6 January 2013
The usual....... The winner will be announced on Monday 3 December 2012 during a live broadcast by Channel 4.
- Family Matters: The Family in British Art 15 October 2012 – 24 February 2013
- Bronze 15 September—9 December 2012
It's all about bronze in art - from Ancient Greece to contemporary sculpture. Here's what visitors have had to say.
- Constable, Gainsborough, Turner and the Making of Landscape 8 December 2012—17 February 2013 The John Madejski Fine Rooms and Weston Rooms
I'm looking forward to this major new exhibition about the development of the British School of landscape painting.
- Mariko Mori: Rebirth 13 December 2012—17 February 2013 In Burlington Gardens
This exhibition is in the new galleries in Burlington Gardens to the rear of the RA.
- Manet: Portraying Life 26 January—14 April 2013 In the Main Galleries, Burlington House
This is the first ever restrospective exhibition of Manet's portrait paintings. This is a gallery of some of the images in the show.
|Music in the Tuileries (1862) by Édouard Manet|
oil on canvas, 76 × 118 cm (29.9 × 46.5 in)
Collection: National Gallery, London
- Renaissance to Goya: prints and drawings from Spain (FREE) Until 6 January 2013
This is a great review by the Independent which gives it 4 stars - Renaissance to Goya: Prints and Drawings from Spain, British Museum, London and another by Brian Sewell. The consensus seems to be this exhibition is worth seeing if you like prints and drawings. Here's a classic paragraph from Sewell's review on the subject of the value of drawings.
Drawings are difficult for those who are unfamiliar with their study; they are the equivalent of the manuscript of an Austen novel or a Mozart symphony with all their erasures and corrections — consider how much we value those. Drawings record the initiation of ideas and their consequent maturity, they are records, documents, palimpsests and works of art in their own right; they can be as fresh as the day they were drawn, or distressed, almost to illegibility, by constant reference, kicked and scuffed on the studio floor. They can be of a whole composition, or of a detail deep within it, studied and precise, or a dashing, even wild, impression. They can be drawn in a variety of pens and inks, red chalk, black chalk, charcoal, pastel, waxed crayon, lead or silverpoint, watercolour or any combination of these techniques. The would-be connoisseur must poke his nose in them and worry them as a terrier with a rat.British Library
- Mughal India: Art, Culture and Empire 9 November 2012 - 2 April 2013.
200 objects document the Mughal empire from the 16th to the 19th century.
- Peter Lely: A Lyrical Vision 11 October 2012 - 13 January 2013
This exhibition is a review of a body of work by England’s leading painter from the period of the Civil War to the reign of Charles II
- Lucian Freud Etchings 22 September 2012 - 13 January 2013
This exhibition is to celebrate Frank Auerbach gift of nine etchings by Lucian Freud (1922 - 2011) to the Courtauld Gallery.Wallace Collection
- Murillo at the Wallace Collection: Painting of the Spanish Golden Age 6 February 2013 - 12 May 2013
An exhibition which aims to use the Wallace's collection of Murillo paintings to further the understanding and appreciation of Murillo as a key protagonist of Spain’s Golden Age.Dulwich Gallery
- Cotman in Normandy 10 October 2012 - 13 January 2013
This is an exhibition which is going to be of interest to those who like Early English watercolours and drawings. Read my review Review: Cotman in Normandy - at Dulwich Art Gallery
- Memory and Imagination: Dutch Italianate and Contemporary Landscapes Wed 23 January - Fri 1 March 2013 (at the Mall Galleries)
"Dutch Italianate paintings from Dulwich’s incomparable collection will be on display at the Mall Galleries in a further collaborative venture that sends Dulwich paintings to central London."More about the MuseumsTo find out more about these museums you can consult my resource sites for art lovers:
UK - Major National Art Societies
These are the exhibitions by National Art Societies ( plus their 'leading lights') and art competitions at the two main galleries for art society exhibitions in London - the Mall Galleries on The Mall and the Bankside Gallery, next to Tate Modern on the South Bank.
UK - National Art Societies
- New English Art Club Annual Exhibition - Annual Exhibition 30 November - 9 December 2012
- Daphne Todd 11 - 23 December 2012, 10am to 5pm
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters Annual Exhibition - Annual Exhibition 2 - 23 December 2012
- The British Scene 24 January - 16 February 2013
The Federation of British Artists presents an exhibition of the landscapes of modern Britain - and I'm really looking forward to seeing it
- The Lynn Painter Stainers Prize (annual art competition) 18 February - 2 March 2013
- The Wapping Group of Artists: London and its River - Annual Exhibition 25 February - 2 March 2013
- Royal Society of British Artists - Annual Exhibition 6 - 17 March 2013
- The Mini Picture Show 23 November 2012 - 20 January 2013
- Society of Wood Engravers 75th Annual Exhibition 30 January - 10 February 2013
- RWS Contemporary Watercolour Competition 2013 22 February - 3 March 2013
- Royal Watercolour Society in Malta 7 - 14 March 2013
- Royal Watercolour Society Spring Exhibition 2013 22 March - 20 April 2013