Friday, December 24, 2010

MAM Awards 2010: Nominations for Best Landscape/Place

The Making a Mark Prize for Best Portrayal of a Place 2010 aims to celebrate and highlight excellence in creating pictures about places in our environment

Below you can find the nominations I received for the best picture (place) on an art blog in 2010.
  • I'll be selecting three of these plus (possibly) one more of my own choice to go forward as the shortlist for you to the vote on the best picture of 2010
  • I'll be including larger images of the shortlisted works in the invitation to vote for the winner - which gets posted tomorrow.
  • You then have until 29th December to vote for the work you think is the best.

Autumn Malvern Hills by Antony Bridge (Pochade.co.uk)
Nominated by: Antony Bridge (self)
This was painted on the most English looking day I have ever seen. Glorious colours, energy from the sun hitting the landscape. I worked fast during this plein air and enjoyed ever moment of it, which is what painting is all about.

Winter's Day by Jean Lurssen (Watercolorist)
Nominated by Jean Lurssen (self)
I lean towards painting atmospheric watercolors and I wanted to portray the vulnerability of the tree and fence against the looming stormy sky.

Waiting by Michelle Basic Hendry (Artscapes – Musings on Art & Life)
Nominated by: Michelle Basic Hendry (self)
I would normally still be uncomfortable nominating my own work – but I am really passionate about this one From an abandoned farmhouse in the Muskoka region, this house and particularly this room have been the subject of many paintings of which this is my favourite. The house has a fascinating history and the characters are still alive in it. The wooden floors and peeling paint seem to put this place in an in-between state of loneliness, memory and expectation. For me, painting is a form of storytelling and this one, I like to think, invites volumes.

Liverpool painting No64. May I Start, May I Finish. Regent Road by Steve Strode (Painter)
Nominated by Steve Strode (self)
Hi Katherine, perhaps I could enter this for the best blog project. From 2010 to 2011 I have been painting the city of Liverpool in a project entitled, ‘May I Start, May I Finish’, as May is the month I started. Up to now I have averaged about 10 to 15 images a month. I am just over half way through the project and have over a hundred small paintings of the city all measuring 20cm x 14cm. I like the nature of the work in that I hope I am in the main replacing the iconic in favour of a more typical Liverpool. The unsung, and in many cases beautiful, yet so often neglected aspects of the city are being painted. Where these iconic images do appear they will be used a backdrop for the life that goes on around them.
Work title, Regent Road.
Water tower with graffiti by Carol King (Carol King: Painting, Drawing, Complaining)
Nominated by Alex Zonis

I would like to nominate a watercolor painting by Carol King “Water tower with graffiti” from her series of water towers of New York.  Carol lives in New York City and paints unassuming and pointed street scenes that often are full of wry humor. New York water towers are Carol’s latest portraying of her hometown. I am fascinated with New York, but the privilege to see the famous city not via a guidebook or a tour bus, but through the eyes of an artist and a New-Yorker makes it very special.



Island Sunset by Jeffery Boron (Artist Jeffrey J. Boron)
Nominated by eLIZabeth Floyd
Jeffery has a very distinct style and I am drawn to how he combines color and pattern to stylize his view of the world around him. This particular painting has all the characteristics I love in his work – energy, color, contrast of values, and an appealing sense of lightness and appreciation of nature.
Terug narr Overhagen by René PleinAir (René PleinAir)
Nominated by Sarah Wimperis
I love Renes work, he really works hard for his paintings and consistantly gives us a beautiful taste of Holland with his use of colour and depictions of the landscape. This painting was one that I almost brought, which for me is almost unheard of, being an impoverished artist, but it has stuck in my mind as such a lovely capturing of a corner of a garden, perfect.

Up to the Blue by Terry Miura (Studio Notes)
Nominated by Belinda del Pesco
Terry's masterful landscapes make me wish I was a landscape painter (living next door to him so I could peer over his shoulder for tutorials). I love this piece because of the wonderful crop of the blue sky, and the simplified brushwork in the squinty sun drenched buildings, and the long shadows thrown by the buildings on one side, and the asymmetrical and boldly painted street trees in the foreground, linking fingers across the street, and barely giving up the suggestion of parked cars underneath. Oh, and that yellow van-bus in the center. Mwah! It just cinches it. Awesome painting.

Why not tell me which three you would pick?

You can also see:
Coming soon:
  • MAM Awards 2010: Nominations for Best Natural World
(Nominations are remaining open until the nominations post is posted!)

Note: The rules for nominations were as follows:
  • The place can be anywhere in the world, in the town or the country, inside or out, on land, on water or in the air. It can be real or imaginary. The inclusion of figures is entirely optional - however the emphasis should be on the place and not the figures (see another MaM the prize re. figures)
  • In 2010, any artist can be nominated who has created a portrayal of a place - real or imaginary - and posted their work to their art or illustrated blog in 2010.
  • 2D artwork is eligible - artwork can be a painting (in any media) or a drawing (in any media) or a fine art print (using any method)
  • Work is NOT eligible if it appears to be be or more of the following:
    • was not completed in 2009
    • has not appeared on an art or illustrated blog in 2009
    • over-reliant on a photograph not taken by the artist
    • subjected to lots of digital manipulation/tweaks (over and above that needed to make it read 'true' on screen)
  • An artist can be nominated more than once - by different people - for different works
  • An artist can be nominated more than once - by different people - for the same work
  • To be shortlisted the nominated artist must agree to their work being displayed on this blog as part of the shortlist.
  • Anonymous nominations are not permitted. In order to nominate you too must have an art or illustrated blog and be capable of being identified by me. (This is to stop spammers!)
  • All nominations must be in English

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.