Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Making A Mark Nominations: Generating Art

The aim of the Making A Mark Awards has always been about trying to identify 
  • excellence in blogging art and 
  • the art blogs which were the most influential.
When I started, I identified those art blogs which had most influenced me.  Last year I opened up the process to all the readers of Making A Mark and the wider community of art bloggers - and which art blogs are excellent and which art blogs influence YOU.

The voting is still limited to the artwork awards and I already have some blogs in mind for the remaining awards (I've learned to keep a list!) however I can say quite categorically that art blogs won last year because of nominations which came from YOU.
What you need to do - it's very simple!
  • WHICH AWARD: 
    • Identify the title of the Making A Mark Award that you want your nominee to be considered for
    • Leave a comment on the post on this blog inviting nominations for that award - BEFORE 24th December
  • WHICH BLOG:  Identify
    • the name of the blog, its URL (eg "The Art Blog" http://theartblog.blogspot.com) and
    • the name of the blogger
  • WHY:  Say WHY you think this blog should be considered for a Making A Mark Award.
That's it!  Simple!

I'll collate all your nominations and comments in relation to each award and consider alongside those blogs which I have in mind as being worthy of consideration. 

The Making A Mark Awards will be announced on the 29th and 30th December.

See my Making A Mark website for a list of previous award winners and an outline of the reasons why they won
All nominees and nominators are linked to both from this blog and my main website page where all the past awards and nominees are listed
Nominations sought for Generating Art

I'm going to ask for nominations for the remaining awards in four separate blog posts to try and keep it simple.

Today I'm looking at nominations for two awards whose winners have a set a high standard to date.
"What they call talent is nothing but the capacity for doing continuous work in the right way." Winslow Homer
The Painting a Day Stickability Shield 

The Painting a Day Stickability Shield is for daily painters who maintain a consistently high output of onsistently good quality paintings over the course of the year and set a good example to others.

Above is what I look like after painting for 15 or so straight hours. I wanted to keep an alla prima feeling to this picture of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich—a sense that it was a giant oil sketch. This required me to use a slow-drying medium to keep the paint wet and to work until my arm fell off and I couldn’t see straight.
The result was PB&J No. 6 (oil). (see The Artist's Magazine: Earning His Daily Bread on Articles and Interviews Duane Keiser Press
Previous winners - and the reasons why - have been:
2006 shared by:
They posted a new painting a day on their blogs for well over a year and, although they're not now posting a new painting absolutely every day, they're still managing a lot more than most 'painting a day' blogs.
2007Carol Marine (Carol Marine's Painting a Day) The person who, in my eyes, has been consistent, has posted most often during the year and who has also continued the tradition, started by Duane, of also sharing her talent and her approach with a wider public through the workshops she has been teaching this year.
2008Edward Gordon (Edward B. Gordon) who started doing daily paintings back in November 2006. Edward has created a painting a day virtuallly every day in 2008 and did the same in 2007. He completed 700 daily paintings back in October. His blog is popular and it indicates that he sells most of the paintings he produces.
2009Loriann Signori (Loriann Signori's painting-a-day) - This award is for stickability - Loriann's complete dedication to getting out and about whatever the weather and wherever she is. She created 344 posts in 2009

Do you know somebody who measures up to previous winners and/or otherwise brings something unique or noteworthy to getting paintings painted on a very regular basis

The Best Art Blog Project Virtual Challenge Cup 


The Best Art Blog Project Virtual Challenge Cup: Art can be quite a lonely activity and it's noticeable that people often like to have some sort of involvement in groups and projects related to art! This award is for
  • EITHER a major and reputable new project which adds value and involves a large number of bloggers
  • OR or a project which has grown over the course of the year in question or otherwise had some significant impact during the course of the year
Previous winners have been:
2006shared by:
  • the Crackskull Bob Self-Portrait Marathon - a new blogging project which generated 390 entries overall from those participating and a stunning level of creativity
  • the Daily Painters Blog - a blog, website and mailing list providing contemporary original art for sale by painting a day artists and habitual painters.
2007the International Sketchcrawl drawing marathons - a project which I have participated in which is global and involves lots of people, a lot of whom are bloggers.
2008Different Strokes from Different Folks - a well thought out project which also involves Karin Jurick in providing tutorials and guidance to participants how to improve their art.  Primarily this has been about encouraging people to see that using photos as references need not involve copying - that making choices, using your imagination and interpreting a photo are skills which are also important.
2009Urban Sketchers - has developed and become a landmark art blog during the last 12 months.
So over to you - who do you think merits being nominated for these two awards? Answers as a comment on this post please.

Links: The Making A Mark Awards 2010 for blogging about art

9 comments:

  1. My nomination for the Best Art Blog Project Virtual Challenge Cup is The Virtual Paintout at http://virtualpaintout.blogspot.com/ by Bill Guffey.

    Using Google Streetview as a source of inspiration for paintings provides just the right degree of unity around a shared theme, and diversity of subject – and lends itself to an incredible variety of interpretations. It’s hard to say which is more fun, finding your perfect location by navigating around the selected area on Google, or looking at all the great stuff other people have found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but I am finding it very hard to find good art blogs to read, so perhaps I will return here for recommendations. I also write an art blog, if you had time I would appreciate some constructive criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish to nominate:

    Barbara Newton
    http://barbaranewton.blogspot.com/

    Weekly works of high quality artistic pastel technique.

    Jeffrey Hayes
    http://jeffhayesfinearts.blogspot.com/

    Original still-life works with a very interesting chiaroscuro.

    Jennifer McChristian
    http://jmcchristian.blogspot.com/

    I find McChristian work shows how create a great composition with excellent pallete.


    José Luis Ceña
    http://jose-luis-c-r.blogspot.com/

    Original subjects which are great studies of light and color


    Marina Dieul
    http://marinadieul.blogspot.com/

    Excellent portraits of great delicacy and technical virtuosity.

    Perhaps other years have been nominated. Overall I find them very inspiring artists whose work by its technical skill is very interesting to watch.

    Saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, my nominations are for the painting a day stickability shield.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to nominate myself for the stickability award - and there's some great company here! http://www.paintingadogaday.com . 2010 saw the creation of daily painting #1000, a wine issued with one of my daily paintings as it's label, an invitational solo exhibition comprised of my dailies, and my induction to the esteemed Daily Painters Group, among other accomplishments. Thanks so much for your consideration! Kim Santini

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberley Santini is having problems posting comments. This is her nomination
    ____________________

    Katherine,

    I'm sorry to be bypassing the comments portiono f nominating - hoping this doesn't make my nomination invalid this time around - but Google won't allow me to login this morning, for whatever reason. :)

    I'd like to nominate Lisa Daria for the Moose Award and the Stickability one - she is a daily painter who tackles a variety of subjects, always accompanied by her studio assistant, Brie, a big fluff ball who gets into all sorts of troubles.http://lisadaria.blogspot.com/

    Let me know if you want me to try and comment again later in the day -
    Thanks so very much and all the best this holiday!!
    Kim


    Kimberly Santini
    http://www.paintingadogaday.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the Best Art Blog Project Virtual Challenge Cup I'd like to nominate "Creative Every Day Challenge" and the associated challenge, "Are Every Day Month" hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas, http://creativeeveryday.com/creative-every-day-challenge.

    To explain, the challenge runs all year long with a Monday check-in. Then, in November, check in is daily. Optional themes are given each month for exploring, or not.

    What I think is special about this art blog is the vast array of artists who participate: fine art, fine craft, writers, dancers, photographers, etc. Leah started the challenge in 2008. I also like the wide range of experience in the participants.

    Thank you Katherine. This if fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to nominate myself for the "Painting a day stickability shield" award. I have created over 300 pieces this year.

    Blog Name: A Splash of Color
    URL: http://www.nithyachander.com/blog/blog/
    Artist: Nithya Swaminathan

    Why: I took up a project titled "300 to 30" where I planned to complete 300 pieces before my 30th birthday, which was earlier this year. Not only did I go on to complete about 305, but stayed with the momentum to paint much much more than I did in all previous years put together.

    I have not literally produced a new painting everyday though, because I was on vacation for a month, and there have been other times too when I missed painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see two deadlines for voting, so I'm going with December 28th from the sidebar links :)
    I will brashly nominate myself for the "Stickability Shield",
    Leslie Hawes, "Leslie's Drawing A Day" http://lesliesblogger.blogspot.com/

    I hope I inspire artists to make art with a 'daily' intention.

    For the Best Art Blog Virtual Challenge cup, I nominate Bill Guffey's The Virtual Paintout.
    http://virtualpaintout.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.