Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Taking a Line for a Walk

Pages 84 and 85 Lucca
"Taking a Line for a Walk"
copyright Christopher Lambert - used with permission

In future the new revamped version of my Travels with a Sketchbook Blog will contain reviews of various books relevant to individuals travelling with a sketchbook. I'm anticipating this will include:
  • the published sketchbooks of other artististic travellers
  • 'how to sketch' books
  • good travel guides for an area
  • maps I've found useful in the past
Since I have bookshelves weighed down with the above it should mean I can avoid the stop/start frequency of a blog which is just about trips!

The first of these book reviews has been posted on my other blog this morning. "Taking a Line for a Walk: 1000 Miles on Foot - Le Havre to Rome" - a facsimile edition of Christopher Lambert's sketchbook journal as he walked over 1000 miles on foot between Le Havre and Rome, crossing France, Switzerland and Italy. Here's the first paragraph of my book review.
Paul Klee once explained that "a drawing is simply a line going for a walk". In the summer of 2000, Christopher Lambert drew a straight blue line between Le Havre and Rome on a map of Europe when eighteen months short of his 70th birthday. He then set off with his all leather Brasher walking boots, a small rucksack, a couple of pens, some watercolour pencils and a sketchbook journal. 1,075 miles and 71 walking days later he arrived in Rome having taken a page each day to sketch and write about what he saw on his trip.
Technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,, , , ,

Links:

7 comments:

  1. The book sounds wonderful, Katherine. You really were sent to tempt me weren't you LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teeheehee! I thought of you just after I posted. I did a comment re Vivien yesterday and realised (too late) that I should have done one for you too.

    BTW - I've got a new module in the right hand column for all the blog posts about the art shops I've come across on my travels - and it has the nice pigment shop in Venice in there. Take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've updated the post to include a samples of one of the double page spreads which I've now got permission to use.

    There's another sketch on the detailed review on my other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks a gorgeous book

    Have you seen David Gentleman's London, Paris, Britain and Coastline books?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I saw one of his books a while back but I don't think it was any of those. I'll look out for them.

    My main problem at the moment is that I raelly don't need any more new books to write about - I need new bookcases for the existing ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely looking book, I am off to find one, and now considering a similar treck, what a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you'd like to see more of Chris's work, he e-mailed me with a link to the website he set up for the book http://www.sketchwalks.com/

    Thanks Chris!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.