Tuesday, January 23, 2007

JSS and my gondola - completed

Sargent's Gondola - completed
14" x 11" coloured pencil on Arches HP
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

This, I think, is the final image of this version of the drawing of the gondola which I've been doing for my John Singer Sargent project. The objective was to try and work with big and simple shapes. This is my 'work in progress' blog post where I explained what I was trying to do and how I was approaching it.

Nicole Caulfield has been using the cutout filter in Photoshop Elements to produce 3 value thumbnails (darkest, mid and lightest values). I decided to try it out when I got to the end of this piece and check out whether or not I managed to stick with big simple shapes and also how it compared with the same exercise on the photo. Photographs are however notoriously difficult to reply on for correct values so when working from the photograph I always make adjustments for the fact any darks in a photo would be lighter in reality.

Then, after I had produced the image at the top, I put the original and my drawing into three different formats using Photoshop Elements. these were:
  • greyscale
  • cut-out using three values
  • cut-out using five values
Below you can see the results.

The top row is the photo (L to R: greyscale 5 values, 3 values) and then the next row underneath is my drawing - and the same order of versions of my drawing. Interestingly my thumbnail of three values (see previous post) is very close to the 3 value cut out image of my drawing as seen below. It's interesting. I can see the adjustments I was making for the shadows in the 5 value but my overall 3 values are not simple enough.






I said 'this version' up above as I think I might redo this - more simply !

Links:
John Singer Sargent Project Update:
Technorati tags:

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hey, that cutout filter thing is a great idea! Thanks. I'm going to try that with my work.

Karen Winters said...

Well done Katherine. I like the dreamy quality that you've achieved with the colored pencils. I think your values are quite good. Thanks for the cutout filter tip. I'd been using posterize but I'll try that other option.

Casey Klahn said...

I also tried a different method in photoshop, which I will probably share soon enough on my blog. it's very mechanical, though.
I will definitely add this to my repertoire of photoshop helps.
I must ask you, then, which colored pencils you used here. It is a very inspiring work, and an inspiring "process" as well. Thank you for sharing it.

Katherine said...

Thanks for all the comments

I have Nicole to credit for the cut-out tip and I'll pass on your thanks to her.

Casey - the pencils I used were a mixture of Faber Castell Polychromos, Lyra Rembrandt and Caran d'Ache Pablos.

MrsSnowy said...

Beautiful finish, Katherine. You may have doubts about the values but I am entranced with your water (not to say the rest isn't lovely), it's sublime.

I am so glad to hear about the Cutout Filter - I wanted to ask Nicole how she did that. Too shy. So thank you. I can see another day swallowed up 'messing around with the computer'.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...