Friday, November 16, 2012

Who painted this #4

This is the fourth Who Painted This?.

The sub-theme of this challenge is about finding out more about artists or paintings. I think I'd only come across this artist a couple of times before I found this painting. Make of that what you will.

Who Painted This? #4
Who Painted This? #4 - How to participate

If you want to play the game: the rules are:
  1. You need to leave your answer as a comment on this blog.  Howls of frustration can also be left while you try and work it out.......
  2. In your comment, you must tell me ALL of the following:
    • the title of the artwork
    • the name of the artist
    • the date it was created
    • the media used
    • where it lives now
    • how you know all this eg how did you do your search (note 3 below)
  3. This is about using brains not technology - so please do not "cheat".
    • PLEASE do NOT use any of the "image matching" technology which exists (eg Chrome or Tineye) - that's just plain lazy! My suspicions will be raised by those who appear to know the answer a bit too quickly!
    • You may use Google or any other search engine to search on WORDS in databases of images. 
  4. If you're not getting anywhere in the first 24 hours I'll leave a clue as a comment on the post.
The person who in my judgement is the first person to get to the answer by fair means will get a mention in my very popular weekly blog post - along with a link to their website or blog or both.

Publication of comments

Here's how the comments work:

  • All comments are moderated and I read ALL the comments prior to publication
  • After publication of this post I ONLY publish all the incorrect answers and all the howls of frustration! 
  • However I do NOT publish the comments by all those who name the artist correctly and/or provide ALL the correct details until a week later - assuming somebody actually gets the answer!  The comments are also published in the order they were left not the order that I open them.  So if your comment is not published you know you could be on the right lines.

Who painted this? #3 - The Answer

The answer is:
The Concord Meadow by Childe Hassam
  • the title of the artwork - The Concord Meadow (click the link to see a larger version and zoom in on the wonderful mark-making!)
  • the name of the artist - Childe Hassam  (American, 1859-1935) - probably my favourite American Impressionist painter
  • the date it was created - c. 1891
  • the media used - Pastel and gouache on canvas; Unframed: 18 x 22 1/8 inches (45.72 x 56.21 cm)
  • where it lives now - Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art (not on view)
In the early autumn of 1891 Childe Hassam visited Concord, in northeastern Massachusetts. The trip resulted in a series of beautiful landscapes executed in pastel augmented with gouache. Drawn with quick, sure strokes and described through contrasting warm and cool tones, The Concord Meadow simultaneously suggests the expanse of grassland framed by a hilly ridge that defines this locale and evokes the fleeting particulars of light, color and atmosphere.Hassam began using pastel in Paris in the late 1880s after seeing it employed to great advantage by the French Impressionists. Like Edgar Degas and Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Hassam recognized that the inherent soft texture of the medium was an ideal way to enhance the impressionistic effects he sought.
Google Art Project
Childe Hassam - self portrait (crop)
More About Childe Hassam

You can find out more about Childe Hassam in my website About Childe Hassam - American Impressionist Painter.
The winner

Many congratulations to the winner of "Who Painted This #3" is Sue Smith (Sue's Sketch Blog).

This one had a lot of you stumped for a very long time so it's an especially noteworthy win. Note Sue got there the methodical way - which always pays off in the end!
It's The Concorde Meadow by Frederick Childe Hassam, 1891, gouache and pastel and is now in the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City. I finally got there by making a list of American Impressionists and searching various sites, Google and Bing, finally google art project came up with the goods. I am now cross eyed but have learned a lot about American Impressionists!
An Honorary Mention goes to Roger Browne who two days later also eventually got there and found all the details too.

Rose Welty and Vivienne St. Clair were also on the right lines and got as far as the name of the painter.

Their comments have now all been published.

22 comments:

  1. It's, 'The purple noon's transparent might' by Arthur Streeton 1896, oil on canvas, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne. I recognised it from the book 'Color and Light' by James Gurney.

    Graeme Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur Streeton
    The Purple Noons Transparent Might
    1896
    Oil on Canvas
    National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
    -I love Arthur Streeton's paintings and I knew this was one of his pieces as I had seen it before. I just love his paintings and I have neen looking for a book with all his works. Since I didn't know much of the information, I googled his name and this painting came up on the first page under the site for Australian Impressionism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine
    The title of the painting is "The Purple Noon's Transparent Might"
    It was painted in oil in the year 1896 by Arthur Streeton
    It now resides in the national gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
    I have long been an admirer of Arthur Streeton's work and this painting was instantly recognizable.
    From there a simple google search gave me the location and precise date.
    Ivan Kelly, Toledo Oregon
    www.ivankelly.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed no 3 and am glad, and somewhat relieved, to now know the full answer. This one I know I have never seen before. The colours are very striking. It doesn't look like it's from europe and it doesn't feel to me like it's American but it has that 'big country' look so I could be wrong. Though the paint appears thin, it looks like an oil painting. There is some sort of tower structure on the left river bank in the trees which may or may not give a clue as to which country the painting is from. I doubt I will get any further on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katherine,
    Enjoying the challenges. Had no idea about No 3 but believe that I may have this one.

    Title of the artwork - The Purple Noon’s Transparent Might by Arthur Streeton
    Date it was created - 1896
    Media used - Oil on Canvas
    Where it lives now - National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne

    How did I know all this . The painting is an iconic one in Australia, and instantly recognisable by someone with an knowledge of Australian art. I have seen the painting a few times when visiting Melbourne & it appears in many art books that I have. A few months ago I visited the Hawkesbury River area north of Sydney where it was painted. I was on a plein air painting trip and I did a small painting just around the corner from Streetons view. The local council have erected a commemorative plaque & built a viewing deck at the location where Streeton painted this view of the Hawkesbury river.
    Cheers
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  6. the title of the artwork - "the purple noon's transparent might"
    the name of the artist - Sir Arthur Streeton
    the date it was created - 1896
    the media used - oil on canvas
    where it lives now - National Gallery of Victoria
    how you know all this - I knew it was Streeton and where it lives (I live here too) - just had to check the NGV site for details

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Purple Noons Transparent Might,
    Arthur Streeton,
    1896,
    Oil,
    National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
    I saw this painting featured on gurney journey.blogspot a couple months back. I googled Arthur Streeton because I knew the artists name, I have been looking for a book on him for a while now. Found a titled image of the painting. I googled the title which led to the Museums website. Jason Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe #4 is "The Purple Noon's Transparent Might" by Arthur Streeton (1867-1943). It is oil on canvas, and was painted in 1896. I'm not entirely sure where it lives, but am going to go with the National Gallery of Victoria. .

    I immediately knew I had seen the painting before at a talk I attended this summer about landscape painting. I remembered the light and sense of heat that radiated from the painting, and that it was an Australian landscape; as Vivienne said, it does have that big country look. I couldn't remember the painter's name, but I was pretty sure of the era, so a search online for 19th century Australian landscape painters provided results pretty quickly.

    I think Streeton's landscapes are wonderfully evocative of a time and place I don't know from direct experience, but imagine to be just as he painted them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would guess that this is an American painting, of which I don't know that much. I'm thinking the school/group of artists that painted vistas of the New York area in the early 1900s...... Hudson River School, I think is what they were called. It's a gorgeous painting - I love the palette and the edgework!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first impression was it looks russian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purple noon’s transparent might

      Sir Arthur Streeton

      1896

      Oil on canvas

      National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne

      I knew this was by an Australian artist, because it is in more than one of my books. I searched google using "Australian artist, Hawksbury River" and found it. Wrong river, but the right idea. :)

      Delete
  11. Well, No.4 is by Arthur Streeton, it's called The Purple Noon's Transparent Might and was painted in 1896. It resides in the National Gallery of Melbourne, Australia. The medium is oils. I have quite a collection of art books and an almost unhealthy interest in 17th Century Dutch painting and 19th Century Impressionism. I don't know if it's considered 'cheating' but here's the source from my library shelf:
    New Worlds from Old, 19th Century Australian and American Landscapes. Publ. National Gallery of Australia, Wadsworth Atheneum, 1998.

    Great blog, btw, Katharine! Blundered into some months ago.


    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katherine,

    This has been driving me crazy. I know it so well, but why?

    the title of the artwork: The purple noon’s transparent might
    the name of the artist: Arthur Streeton
    the date it was created: 1896
    the media used : Oil on Canvas
    where it lives now : National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
    how you know all this: It is in Color and Light by James Gurney

    Thank you for devising these challenges. I’ve really enjoyed them.

    All the best,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not sure why, but I immediately felt that this was in Australia,and so started searching for landscape artists in Australia.I came across a modern artist who had a similar style and then stared searching the artists who had inspired him,one which was Arthur Streeton.

    This painting was done by Arthur Streeton in 1896,it is entitled (The purple noon's transparent might')oil on canvas. It can be found at the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep going back to the watch tower. Why would a watch tower be by a river? It's not for fire, invaders, guarding prisoners , or flooding but it has to be about some type of danger. It looks like there are people (or maybe animals) in the water. That implies the tower could be looking out for danger in or on the banks of the water. It has to be something like crocs, gators or some other dangerous creature. I'll rack my brains some more while I am at work today!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knew it was Arthur Streeton immediately. (You can't fool a homesick Australian). Had to hunt down the details:
    Title: The purple noon's transparent might - 1896
    oil on canvas
    National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne.
    I believe it was painted on location on the Hawkesbury River. (Very close to home for me).
    I know I've seen this painting, just not sure if it was at the Melbourne Gallery or on tour.
    Please tell me I haven't left anything out this time. A bit of trivia - can you imagine my excitement when I discovered a Streeton in a friend's dining room. Her mother was a collector.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it could be Russian - maybe Levitan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one was a toughie to begin with but once I got the right country it was surprisingly easy to find. I agree with Vivienne about the big country feel and also spotted the structure near the bank which I think is a water tower. Both these made me think of Australia for some reason so I did a Google image search for Australian landscape painters. The first painting that looked similar in style was Arthur Streeton whom I haven't heard of but another search for him brought up the painting as The Purple Noon 1896 but no other details. Searched The Purple Noon and got the full title as The Purple Noon's Transparent Night (what a title!) oil on canvas 1896 National Gallery of Victoria. I know I haven't won this time as you've said others have already got there but it was still great fun to do, looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We could be breaking records(!) on this one for how many of you get it right. I've got stacks of comments waiting to be published which have identified every last bit of detail required. What's absolutely fascinating is your accounts of how you all arrived at it - and all I can say is that there's lots of ways into finding this one!

    My tip, if you've not got it yet, is to look at the colours and the nature of the landscape and have a think about which country this reminds you of. You're on the right lines if most of you start looking a little further afield than you normally do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don'r forget - you can rule out all the artists whose names have popped up in comments to date. They're all incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im taking a go. I remember watching a video of an australian artist painting by a river in a tent with his hands! I shall do more research tomorrow and see if I can come up with a name and answer to yours questions, but just wanted to throw in my 5 øre.
    Couldnt wait til tomorrow and came up with Arthur Boyd who paints from the Shoalhaven area, tho he paints landscapes not that grand with so much light vibrating and then I came across (sir) Erik Langker, lots of light but cannot find any similiar painting of that stretch of water. So offto bed now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "The purple noon`s transparent might". Arthur Streeton (1867-1943) oil on canvas 123x123. National gallery of Victoria Melbourne. www.ngv.vic.goc.au

    Knew it had to be australian! Something about the warmth, light and vista. Boyd and Langker had too small a view and too much vegetation going on. Then Eugene von Geurard came along and he had more of those open vistas but still too much trees and clouds. Then came across the Guardian article that mentioned an upcoming exhibition at RAA next year and thru their post I checked out those I hadnt previously crossed of my list and eureka, there it was! (all thru google). I really had thought it would be a more later painter, something about the approach to composition, a bit untraditional. Thank you Katherine, I really enjoyed this, but had planned other things on this day off of mine ;)(painting)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.