The Winner is announced in advance of the exhibition opening - in the Culture section of the Sunday Times magazine.
The Sunday Times Watercolour Competition aims to celebrate and reward excellence and originality in the medium of watercolourEligible media includes:
- any water-based media
- this includes acrylic, inks and gouache (note it does NOT state that watersoluble oil paint is acceptable!)
Artists should note that whilst any water-based mediums are acceptable, this competition aims to celebrate and reward excellence and originality in the genre of watercolour painting.and
The judges will therefore be looking for work that makes the most imaginative or otherwise impressive use of a water based medium in this respect.The 2016 judging panel included:
- Akash Bhatt, Winner of Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2015;
- Sara Dudman, artist;
- Desmond Shawe-Taylor CVO, Surveyor of the Queen’s Pictures, and
- Louis Wise, Critic and Writer, The Sunday Times (list of articles suggests a fairly wide-ranging brief!)
Selected Artists75 paintings were selected for the exhibition. Below are the names of the selected artists.
There are several artists who have had two works selected. These are Jacqueline Abel, Bob Aldous, Lucy Austin, Louise De La Hey, Kate Hunt, Chloe Le Tissier, Robert Offord and Jenny Ross.
- Links in their names are to their websites. Facebook Pages are also highlighted where found.
- I've provided a tiny bio where I have access to information - some of which comes from past posts on this blog (eg selected artist in another art competition). STWC indicates previous years selected for this competition.
- Jacqueline Abel - previously selected for the Threadneedle Prize in 2012 and 2013
- Bob Aldous - works in a wide variety of media
- Roger Allen - based in Derbyshire and paints the Derbyshire landscape. Works in oil and watercolour using a traditional technique of overlaid washes in watercolour. His work can currently be seen at the Derbyshire Open Exhibition at the Buxton Art Gallery.
- Lucy Austin - Lives and works in Bristol at Mivart Studios. Draws in watercolour and has previously exhibited such drawings at The Jerwood Drawing Prize (2007, 2008 & 2010) and RA Summer Exhibition
- Terence Bennett - b. 1935 in Doncaster. Lives in Bolsterstone, in the Ewden valley near Sheffield. Currently working on a series of watercolours involving power stations in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Previous prizewinner in The Sunday Times Watercolour
|Black Braces (Study) by Raymond Bentley|
- Raymond Bentley - an award-winning watercolourist and oil painter from the North of England. Comes from Stoke on Trent and current lives in Saltburn-on-Sea in Cleveland.
- Varsha Bhatia - a Watercolour Artist specializing in detailed architectural paintings. She is a longstanding contributor to the Sunday Times Watercolour Competition Exhibition - this is the 12th time her work has been selected. She graduated with a degree in architecture in Bombay and came to the UK in 1982 to work in Cambridge. Regularly exhibits with FBA societies at the Mall Galleries and has won a number of awards for her paintings. Facebook Page: Varsha Bhatia - Watercolour Artist
- Christie Bird - B. 1970 in the British Virgin Islands and paints full time in acrylic at her home in Freshwater Bay, Isle of Wight. Selected for the RWS Contemporary Watercolour Exhibition in 2014 and 2016, the Sunday Times Watercolour Exhibition in 2010 and the RA Summer Exhibition in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2014.
- Alison Boult - graduated with an MA from The Prince’s Drawing school in 2013. Selected for the Threadneedle Prize in 2016 and RA Summer Exhibition and Lynn Painter-Stainers in 2015. According to her website her media of choice is oil.
- Day Bowman - graduate of Chelsea School of Art and London University. Selected for the Threadneedle Prize (2016). Her website indicates her work involves water rather than watercolour paint. Day Bowman will provide an insight into her creative process in the gallery on Friday 23 September.
- Patricia Bray - artist statement but no bio on website. Previously selected for STWC in 2014 and 2015
- Vincent Brown - website under construction. Previously exhibited in this competition in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Annette Burkitt - A self taught artist specialising in watersoluble mediums, particularly gouache. Has a studio in Frome. Exhibits mostly in the south west with art societies. This is her blog.
Delighted my painting St Paul's selected for the Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2016 @WatercolourComp pic.twitter.com/N66b6PdN87— Varsha Bhatia (@VarshaBhatiaArt) July 7, 2016
|Artist's Mother by Vincent Brown|
selected for exhibition
- Sophie Charalambous - Used to be a theatre designer. Did the Drawing Year at the Princes Drawing School in 2009 (now the Royal Drawing School) She's a visual Artist who also works collaboratively in the theatre and leads arts projects with community groups. Teaches drawing and painting at the Prince’s Drawing School. Has a studio in an old garmet factory in London Fields in east London. Works largely monochromatically with an illustrative style. This is an article about her and her work and this is a video in which you can see her pen and ink and watercolour drawings
- Yvonne Crossley - PhD (2001). RWA. Studied fine art at Goldsmith’s College of Art. Worked in art education since her graduation. In 2004 she left her post as a Vice-Principal at the Wimbledon School of Art to set up The Drawing Gallery in Central London. This relocated to the West Midlands in 2008. In 2014 she was elected as an Academician to The Royal West of England Academy. Has been asked to be a Judge for a number of Prizes - She was one of the Judges for the 1st Derwent Art Prize. She now runs The Drawing Gallery in tandem with her studio practice.
- Janet Darley - Lives in Kent and works in gouache on paper - mainly plein air. Previous exhibitor in 2014 and 2015 Facebook Page. Janet wins the prize for being the first artist to send me an image of her selected work! (Anybody can send me an image of their work for inclusion in this blog post). Janet will be demonstrating in the gallery on Tuesday 20 September.
|Elmley Marshes by Janet Darley|
- Louise de la Hey - Born in London where she attended the Byam Shaw School of Art, 1977-81, then in 1982 worked in Italy.
- Agata di Masternak - her story is a difficult read. Facebook
- Joan Doerr - produces expressive abstract paintngs in acrylic. Painted seriously for just over ten years, has exhibited widely across Scotland, and more recently has shown in London (Royal Academy and Discerning Eye), and in Bath and Suffolk.
|‘Terracotta Twist’ by Joan Doerr|
- Richard Elliott - Graduated from Jordanstone with a degree in fine art (1986), followed by a Post Graduate Diploma in Fine Art, Painting at the Royal Academy Schools, London (1999). Won a number of awards and residencies. His blog
- Mark Elsmore RBSA WSA - Won first prize in the Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2012. See Mark Elsmore wins Sunday Times Watercolour 2012. Born in the Potteries, North Staffordshire. Member of Royal Birmingham Society of Artists and Wirral Society of Arts and regularly exhibits nationally.
- Mark Entwisle - Graduated in Illustration (Brighton 1984) Commissioned to do book covers by Penguin and others. Exhibited in BP Portrait Award in 1999 and 2002. Worked as a portrait painter since them and has been selected for several art competitions. Also teaches part time at the National Portrait Gallery. His paintings are of his family and their friends and everyday objects and places
- Gethin Evans - Born in South Wales. Studied at Camberwell and the Slade. Previously Course Director at Byam Shaw School of Art between 1991 and 2011. He's now Foundation Year Course Leader at the Royal Drawing School. Has been selected for a number of art competitions - including Sunday Times Watercolour Competition in 2010 and 2013
- Anne Goldberg - no website
- Sarah Gracie - no bio
- Jenny Graham - Lives and works in Bridgewater in Somerset. Traditional landscapes form the core of her everyday practice as an artist but also interested in developing new approaches. Mostly exhibits in the southwest.
- William Grob - Artist painter photographer. Graduated BA Photography at Falmouth University 2011 – 2014 Instagram Currently living in Brooklyn New York.
- Gary Groucutt - no bio
Two paintings shortlisted for Sunday Times Watercolour exhibition. Fingers crossed. pic.twitter.com/iNXJBuykvV— jenny graham (@mimischild) June 28, 2016
- David Hamilton - Taught in the Fine Art Departments of Lancaster and Portsmouth Colleges of Art followed by the Royal College of Art, Department of Ceramics and Glass. Then became Professor, with a period as Wedgwood Group Design Director, then Pro-Rector. Professor Emeritus and Senior Fellow, Royal College of Art. Associate of the Royal Watercolour Society (ARWS). Selected for STWC in 2015
- Elizabeth Hannaford - fine artist working from a studio in South West London
- David Henderson - a North Berwick-based artist who loves being out of doors. He paints cityscapes and landscapes and exhibits in a number of locations in Scotland.
- Nathaniel Hornsby - A Northampton based artist, primarily using watercolour paint and stop motion film. Has developed a series of paintings about Visitors to Frieze painted in monochrome. No bio. Exhibitor in 2015. Facebook Page.
- Kate Hunt - no website. MA Fine Art: Drawing (2000). Previously selected for this competition. Exhibits with Cadogan Contemporary.
- Wendy Jacob RWS - Usually paints in gouache. Elected member of the Royal Watercolour Society in 2008 and a Past Vice President. Work has in the past been selected for the RA Summer Exhibition, The Sunday Times Competition, New English Art Club, Discerning Eye and the Royal Watercolour Society at Bankside Gallery. I tend to think of her as the fences lady.
- Emily Jolley - based in Brighton. Began to study art after leaving a career in nursing; initially attending Reigate School of Art in 1990 followed by a degree in Fine Art at Newcastle Polytechnic.
- Janet Kenyon - She won The Royal Watercolour Society/The Sunday Times/Smith & Williamson Cityscape Prize, 2009. Published article ‘Revelations’ in ‘The Art of Watercolour’ magazine, March 2016, 22nd issue
- Keith Knight - no website
|Midnight in Acid Suburbia by Teresa Lawler|
- Teresa Lawler - studied at the Slade School of Fine Art , University College London
(Post graduate Painting 1979-81)
- Ron Lawrence -
- Chloe Le Tissier - b.1984 in London. Threadneedle Prize exhibition 2012 and Highly commended, The Drawing Year in 2011
- Oona Leganovic - Blog
- Zi Ling - b. 1985, HuangShan, China. Currently based in Beijing and London. Trained at the Chelsea College of Arts and Central Academy of Fine Arts China.
- Peter Lloyd-Jones - Degree: 1977-1979 Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art, Oxford;
Post Graduate: 1980-1983 Royal Academy of Arts, London. Head of Art St Edwards School Oxford 2009-13
- Kathryn Maple - Past STWC Winner - see Kathryn Maple wins Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2014 Also selected for STWC in 2015. Past Graduate of The Drawing Year at the Royal Drawing School.
|Kathryn Maple - with her painting "Fatboys Diner" (£900)|
which won the Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2014
|“Following Tracks” by Janet Melrosewatercolour on gesso panel – 122cm x 91cm|
- Sylwia Narbutt -
- Paul Newland VPRWS NEAC - Vice President and Honorary Curator of the Royal Watercolour Society
- Robert Offord - no website. Has exhibited with the RI and NEAC
- Stefan John Orlowski - MA FINE ART, Wimbledon College of Art, 2011-2012; BA FINE ART, Aberystwyth University of Wales, 2004-2007. Also selected for Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize in 2016.
- David A Parfitt RI - Lives near Bath. A landscape painter, working with watercolours and water-based media. Elected a member of The Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours in 2011; current RI Membership Secretary. Selected for STWC in 2015 and 2014.
|David Parfitt on Facebook|
- Sandra Porter - 1980-1981 MA Painting. Chelsea School of Art. 1976-1980 BA (Hons) Fine Art. Stourbridge College of Art, West Midlands.
- Kerri Pratt - Lives and works in the East Midlands. Creates original acrylic paintings responding to encounters with man-made, urban and industrial spaces and places. Exhibits in the Midlands. Facebook
- Helen Rawlins - Graduated 2008 from Wimbledon College of Art with BA (First Class Hons). Her work covers a wide range of ideas and materials, including paintings, photography and installations.
- William Rees - in his final year at the Ruskin School of Art in Oxford (he wrote to tell me!). No website as yet.
- Fiona G. Roberts - Born in the Lake District; now lives in London. Graduated from LSE and Goldsmiths College. Selected for a number of art competition exhibitions.
- Stuart Robertson RWS - born in Kent in 1962. Studied at Maidstone and Wimbledon School of Art. Moved to Delhi in 1989, where he worked for The Times of India, travelling throughout the country painting for several years. Normally exhibits in India.
- Jenny Ross - Won The RSW Watermark Award from The Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour in 2015. Selected for STWC in 2015.
- Denis Ryan RWS - paints the urban environment from his own photos. Born in London. Studied for an MA in Fine Art at Watford, Hornsey and Ravensbourne colleges of art. Elected a member of the Royal Watercolour Society (RWS) in 2008. Last exhibited in STWC in 2007 and 2008. Facebook
- Andrew Stock SWLA RE - Has been a professional artist since leaving school in 1978. President of the Society of Wildlife Artists (SWLA) from 2004 to 2009. I'm expecting the work to be a seascape. Facebook
- Jayne Stokes - Graduated 1996 with 1st class BA(HONS) Fine Art from Edinburgh College of Art (1st Class); MA in European Fine Art, Barcelona (1998). Member of the Society of Scottish Artists. Selected for STWC in 2015
- Michael Tarr - Lives in Taunton. Background as an illustrator. Worked as a freelance artist, incorporating graphic design, illustration and painting, concentrating on the latter since 1997 Tumblr
- Stephanie Tuckwell - Has a studio in Cardiff and teaches part-time at the University of Wales, Trinity St. David, Swansea College of Art. Graduated from Goldsmiths in 1975. Selected for STWC in 2012, 2013, and 2015
- Simon Turvey - Born 1957 in Beckenham. Elected member of the Society of Wildlife Artists in 1981. No website
- Rosie Vohra - Born in Hertfordshire 1992. Currently living and working in Leeds. Graduated with BA (first-class hons) Fine Art, Leeds College of Art followed by The Drawing Year, The Royal Drawing School, London.
- Deborah Walker RI - member of the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour and past winner of the Turner Medal in 2015 (see 203rd Annual Exhibition of Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours #1 - Prizewinners and Events). Lives in Barton-under-Needwood and teaches classes and workshops in a variety of media and exhibit widely across the country. Facebook
|Deborah Walker on facebook|
- Deborah Westmancoat - a British contemporary painter based in Somerset, UK. Has work in the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 2016
- Helen Wilson - unclear which website is relevant
Selected artists in previous years
These are my blog posts about the artists who had work selected in previous years2016
- Selected artists - Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2015
- Selected Artists - Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2014
- Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2013 - Selected Artists
- 2011 Sunday Times Watercolour Competition - selected artists
- RWS/Sunday Times Watercolour Competition - prizewinners and selected artists
More about the Sunday Times Watercolour Competition
- Akash Bhatt wins Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2015
- Review: Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2015
- The Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2015 - Call for Entries
- Kathryn Maple wins Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2014
- The Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2014 - Call for Entries
- David Forster wins Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2013
- Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2013 Exhibition at the Mall Galleries
- Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2013 - Call for Entries
- Mark Elsmore wins Sunday Times Watercolour 2012
- Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2012 - Call for Entries
- REVIEW: Sunday Times Watercolour Exhibition 2011
- John Hunt wins Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2011
- Sunday Times Watercolour Competition - Call for Entries
- Review: Sunday Times Watercolour Competition 2010
- Emma Haworth wins Sunday Times Watercolour ...
- Call for entries: Sunday Times Watercolour Competition
- Royal Watercolour Society / Sunday Times Watercolour Exhibition
- RWS/Sunday Times Exhibition - two ...
- Call for entries - 2009 RWS/Sunday Times Watercolour ...