Thursday, May 10, 2007

Two new Technorati widgets

I've got two new widgets!

Well I wrote that and then thought about how to illustrate a widget and then decided I didn't have to bother until the Blogger image upload started working properly again so once I've posted this I'm going off for a think!

Anyway, what are the widgets about? Both the widgets come from Technorati and you can see the results of them in the right hand column.

The first widget is about the 'authority' of the blog (ie how many blogs have linked to the blog in question in the last six months). You can see the icon for this near the top of the right hand column. Click on it and goes to the Technorati page for this blog; then click on the authority and it takes you to another more detailed page. (Note: I've always found the Tecnorati site to be really slow to load)

This is the Technorati Blog post which explains the change in how Technorati rates and ranks blogs.
Technorati Authority is the number of blogs linking to a website in the last six months. The higher the number, the more Technorati Authority the blog has......Technorati Rank is calculated based on how far you are from the top. The blog with the hightest Technorati Authority is the #1 ranked blog. The smaller your Technorati Rank, the closer you are to the top.
Small toot for the blog. For a long time I've had a goal of breaking through the 30k mark and ranking in the top 30,000 blogs and it would appear that this has at last happened - as you can see here. Thanks to everybody who's ever reckoned that this is a blog which is worth linking to - it's very much appreciated by me!

You can also get the the Blog Top Tags cloud widget which makes your top tags appear in a rather nice cloud formation - look a little way down the right hand column. The more posts have a tag the bigger the word appears in the cloud. I've wanted to do this for ages as I think it provides a good 'at a glance' sense of what a blog is about.

This is the page where you can wallow in Technorati widgets and other tools! Enjoy!

Finally - two questions for readers
  • One of the things I want to know is do you get a tag cloud if you don't use Technorati tags? So can somebody else have a go at loading it (a bit fiddley) and see what happens!
  • I think the two widgets make the blog load slightly more slowly. Do you notice this and, if it does, do you think the widgets are worth it or not?

Links:

2 comments:

  1. Can't help you with the first one, I'm afraid, as I do use technorati tags and already have one of their cloud widgets. On the second, I didn't notice a difference in how long it takes to load.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Katherine. You're one of my fave blogs and as such I've blog-tagged you. If you don't want to play, that's fine, but if you do, I've linked you and the rules are on my
    blog post today.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.