Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Techie: Ning announces new terms

I'm currently using Ning to provide free webware to support Sketchercise and the The Art of the Landscape Ning site.

I was more than a bit perturbed when they said that they were eliminating the free groups. However the announcement today of the options for the future means it looks like I won't have to find a new provider just yet

Ning are now offering a new option called Ning Mini which basically allows for pretty much the same service as before - minus events and groups - for $19.95 pa in the first year or $2.95 per month.

So right now it doesn't look like I need to move sites in the next three months - but I still have to read the small print!

Ning Mini
The simplest and fastest way to set up a social network for your classroom, community group, small nonprofit or family
Ning Plus
The tools and features you need to build and grow a branded social network with high engagement – an incredible value at a great price
Ning Pro
The ideal solution for building a comprehensive social experience, including additional features, integration, support and bandwidth
$2.95/month
or $19.95/year* (save 44%)
$19.95/month
or $199.95/year* (save 16%)
$49.95/month
or $499.95/year* (save 17%)
Up to 150 members Unlimited members Unlimited members

Full control over your branding and member experience Full control over your branding and member experience
Features include blogs, photos, forum and video embeds Full feature set including events, groups, chat, pages and Ning Apps Full feature set plus video and music uploads and branded players
Simple customization options Advanced customization options including CSS, Javascript and the Language Editor Advanced customization options, plus the API access upgrade when launched
Includes run your own ads Includes run your own ads, use your own domain and remove Ning links Includes run your own ads, use your own domain, remove Ning links and add storage and bandwidth
Community-based support Help Center support Premium support

* One-time annual pricing

For full comparison of the three plans, click here.

7 comments:

  1. It seems that big Nings will come under pressure.
    I have no experience with Yahoo Groups. Would a move to yahoo be a free option ?

    I do not see the justification for those high prices. As far as I know professional forum software is available at the price or even less than those yearly fees charged by NING for the plus and pro versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally speaking I detest Yahoo Groups webware as it is just so old fashioned and clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not had much experience with Ning, Katherine, but I think I'm glad I didn't invest a lot of time into investigating it. So far, Blogger's working for me, for groups and for sharing, though I do still own several Yahoo groups (hey, I'm a dinosaur!) Sorry you're having a Ning problem--seems like nothing stays free for long. You use Blogger better than anyone I know--I'm curious as to why anything else seems necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ning is great for discussion groups for people interested in the same subject matter. It works miles better than Yahoo - mainly because you can add in the image to the discussion thread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried Google Wave and was SO not impressed (turns out it doesn't like Windows 7, or didn't anyway)--I guess once burned, twice shy! Wave about drove me crazy, trying to get it to do what it said it would...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Ning website too and was upset that they are going to charge But I think I can afford the 420 a year plan It offers a great looking site and my members seem happy I also like the idea of putting in my own ads However I always found they ads they ran had appropriate content and value and often were a great resource for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously - you're going to fork out for the Pro account? That's a total rip off unless you have a very large commercial site.

    Or did you mean the $20 a year plan - in which case I agree! :)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.