Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Nominate the Best Art (Portrait/Figures) on a Blog in 2009

You are invited to NOMINATE an artwork on an art blog for

The Making a Mark Prize for Best Artwork - Portrait / Figures 2009

This prize aims to celebrate and highlight excellence in portraiture and/or artwork predominantly involving figures



WINNER of the MAM Prize for the Best Artwork 2008
A Walk in the Ocean
by Margaret Dyer (Small Pastels and an Occasional Oil)
- nominated by Casey Klahn (The Colorist)

ELIGIBILITY
  • In 2009, any artist creating portraits or artwork predominantly involving figures - real or imaginary - and posting their work to their art or illustrated blog can be nominated.
  • 2D artwork is eligible - artwork can be a painting (in any media) or a drawing (in any media) or a fine art print (using any method)
  • Work is NOT eligible if it appears to be be one or more of the following:
    • was not completed in 2009
    • has not appeared on an art or illustrated blog in 2009
    • over-reliant on a photograph not taken by the artist
    • subjected to lots of digital manipulation/tweaks (over and above that needed to make it read 'true' on screen)
  • An artist can be nominated more than once - by different people - for different works
  • An artist can be nominated more than once - by different people - for the same work
  • To be shortlisted the nominated artist must agree to their work being displayed on this blog as part of the shortlist.
  • Anonymous nominations are not permitted. In order to nominate you too must have an art or illustrated blog and be capable of being identified by me. (This is to stop spammers!)
  • All nominations must be in English


Winner of the 2008 MAM Prize for The Best Portrait by a Female Artist on a Blog
Zen
by Nicole Caulfield (Nicole Caulfield Art Journal)
nominated by Sheona Hamilton Grant (Black on Grey on White)

HOW TO NOMINATE
To nominate - just comment on this blog post providing all the necessary details (see below) before 24th December 2009
  • Your nominations MUST identify:
  • the title of the piece
  • the name of the artist,
  • the name and URL of the blog (eg The Art Blog - http://theartblog.blogspot.com)
  • the date, title and URL of the blog post in which the artwork appears (please provide a link)
  • SAY WHY YOU LIKE THE WORK - this bit is really important so please do the best you can. Remember that nominations are open and transparent and that it's good to share a genuine tribute.
  • You need to ask the artist if their work can be posted on my blog - and let me know what the answer is.
  • An artist can nominate their own work.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
  • Nominations close just after midnight on 24th December.
  • I will then select a shortlist of three works from the nominations prior to posting them on this blog and inviting readers to vote for their favourite artwork.
  • This shortlist of three works then becomes eligible for the overall Making A Mark Prize for best artwork on a blog.
  • Results are published on this blog 30th December
Read Making A Mark: End of Year Review and consult the links below to find out more about the other Making A Mark Awards.
Please also NOMINATE for other MAKING A MARK AWARDS
(see below - links become live as invites are posted)
There will be more posts this week inviting nominations for the remainder of the Making A Mark Awards - but only one email update each day.

Links: The Making A Mark Awards 2010 for blogging about art - Making A Mark: End of Year Review

14 comments:

  1. I'd like to nominate Maria Pace-Winters for her painting 'Joy'. For me this image just sings with colour, life and happiness. In my opinion this work showcases the vibrance and liveliness of Maria's exquisite mixed media technique.
    http://mariapacewynters.wordpress.com/2009/01/02/joy/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to nominate Karin Jurick for her painting, "Palm Sunday". Posted on her blog A Painting Today: URL - http://karinjurick.blogspot.com/ Dec. 5, 2009. Nobody knows their way around a body like Karin. When you view her paintings, you know there is a heart beating within that figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to nominate Nancy Kearney for her painting, "Brandi". Posted on her blog Nancy Kearney Art: http://nancykearneyart.blogspot.com/ Sept. 27, 2009. I believe that she has such a beautiful and sensitive way of painting that is reminiscent of the Old Masters. I think she is amazing, and I know others feel the same way!

    She also has a website at: http://nancykearney.carbonmade.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going out on a limb here and nominate a portrait of me done by my husband, Gary Nemcosky and posted on his blog http://garynem.blogspot.com/ on Dec. 9
    http://garynem.blogspot.com/2009/12/woman-sketching.html
    It was done for the challenge blog, Following the Masters, and although I admire his skill with all of his figurative work, this one seems to radiate with the blend of Vermeer's inspiration and his own unique style of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to nominate Kelly Borsheim for her charcoal drawing of Daydreaming. http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com/2009/11/charcoal-drawing-daydreaming-nude-woman.html
    It was difficult for me to pick one piece as she captures the essence of the nude in every one of her paintings or drawings. Her blog is http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com and her web site is http://borsheimarts.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to nominate “Memories of Venice” by Kelly Borsheim. In a world bombarded with fantasy characters, the figure in this drawing has a refreshing feeling of authenticity. The pose is calming and contemplative, with just enough mystery to make me wonder…What is she doing there? What is she thinking?

    I am always curious about the process behind the art, so I also enjoyed reading the artist’s comments about this piece in the blog entry.

    Many people consider the human form to be the most challenging subject to draw. I would go beyond that and say that the best figurative artists capture a sense of the human spirit as well. This results in an image that feels like a real person with real thoughts and feelings. I think Kelly Borsheim’s work rises to this level.

    Fine Art by Borsheim: http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com/
    This charcoal drawing was posted February 19, 2009:
    http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com/2009/02/memories-of-venice-original-art.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nominate David Larson Evans and his painting 'The Retired Captain', posted on October 10th 2009. It can be found at http://davidlarsonevans.blogspot.com/2009/10/retired-captian-16x20-oil-html, on his blog Life Painted Daily.
    This painting for me has everything,wide colour and tonal range, fabulous brushwork, a sense of mystery, an unusual viewpoint, which all comes together to make a stunning image.It was hard to choose just one painting as all of Davids' work is a joy to behold. I love his sense of humour, his fearless experimentation, his tireless hard work to achieve improvement. Well, it doesn't get better than this! It i my favourite place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, would like to nominate “Memories of Venice” by Kelly Borsheim. Kelly has such a touch and eye for the human form. This piece stirs my curiosity about the woman and the reasons for her being in that strange place. I feel a sense of independence in her. I must say that I like all of Kelly's work. The mystery and lovely sculpting of this piece is especially appealing to me. (It is OK with Kelly to post her art on your blog.)

    Fine Art by Borsheim: http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com/
    This charcoal drawing was posted February 19, 2009:
    http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com/2009/02/memories-of-venice-original-art.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Title of the Piece: "In your own darkroom, wishes..."
    Name of Artist: Pierre Raby
    Name of blog: A Painter's Room
    url of blog: http://pierreraby.blogspot.com

    The artwork appears in blog post
    dated: Feb 1, 2009
    titled: In your own darkroom, wishes...
    url:
    http://pierreraby.blogspot.com/2009/02/in-your-own-darkroom.html

    The artist agreed to have their work posted on your blog.

    Why I like the work:
    Clearly this is yet another amazing example of how skillful photo-realist artists have become in our day; in this respect Raby is at the top of my short list. But this piece uses its impressive technique to such effect that, to my eye, the technique vanishes, revealing such a vivid and heartfelt moment that I forget it's a drawing, and even that it's a graphite one. I feel so much presence and affection glowing from it that in my memory, the image is full color, and full of life, completely not about the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fellow DPer Liza Hirst! For her amazing ability to capture the mood of the sitter and render it masterfully on the canvas. (He interiors and landscapes are equally good) http://lizamoveson.blogspot.com/search/label/portrait

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olha - this is for a "best picture award" so I need a nomination of whichever work you think is best - which can then be used for the voting

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my self portrait (posted on my baby blog a couple of months ago): http://paolaminekov.blogspot.com/2009/10/self-portrait-2009.html

    I spent quite a few months painting this portrait and I'm really happy with the final result. I have to admit that this wasn't always the case, I nearly destroyed it at one point...

    However I believe I've managed to keep a certain sketchiness and freshness of the colours and the treatment of the texture and I like how that contrasts with the classical style in which I've painted the face.

    Paola Minekov

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Paola

    Sorry - nominations are now closed and the nominations received from which the shortlist will be picked have now been posted

    see http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2009/12/making-mark-awards-2009-nominations-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.