So what's happened since publication?
A lot! I really very much appreciate:
- the kind people who have been sharing information about the book on their websites, blogs and Facebook before and after publication. Very many thanks to all those who have been doing this - Sally Strand, Coral Guest, Gayle Mason, Sarah Morrish, Shevaun Doherty, Ester Roi, Laura Frankstone, Loriann Signori, Paula Pertile, Melissa B. Tubbs, Alyson Champ and Lis Watkins. (Please do let me know if I've missed anybody out)
Sketching 365 in Foyles
- nearly next to Andrew Loomis!
- even more thanks and appreciation to those people who bought the book and have been sharing reviews - Mary Kemp, Coral Guest, Laura Murphy Frankstone and last but not least Parkablogs (see his video at the bottom of the post)
It is packed choc a bloc with so much information, from how to draw to what to use, how to sharpen a pencil even, and drawings on every page. A feast of sketches you wish you'd done yourself, and not all by Katherine but loads of guest artists, different styles, different materials. I wish I'd had this book at the start of my arty journey. It would have saved a lot of time. Mary Kemp - Why I Love "Sketching 365" by Katherine Tyrrell
This is a specialised and practical anthology of drawing methods and techniques. Focusing on media of all kinds, from pen to pastel, and carbon to crayon, the possibilities are both lavish and simple, splendid and modest, and accompanied by carefully organised tips and guidelines that flow through the pages like a rainbow of ideas yet to be discovered. Coral Guest A New Book by Katherine Tyrrell
It’s a book about drawing, all sorts of drawing, and it will be helpful to anyone who draws, for whatever reason, or anyone who would like to. Organized into 365 points or tips, the book is both encyclopedic and accessible. Tyrrell’s writing style is clear and calm. The lucidity of her text is matched by the excellent design of the book’s interior, which is clean, crisp, and visually balanced. Laura Murphy (on Amazon)
- Reviews on Amazon.com have all been five stars which is AMAZING! Only four so far but hopefully more to come as these do make a big difference - as you can see below. On Amazon.com Drawing 365 is currently
- #2 in the Hot New Releases list of books about Drawing
- #28 in the Hot New Releases list of books about Art & Photography!!!
|Drawing 365 is #2 in the top new releases in books about drawing on Amazon.com|
|I never thought I'd see my drawing on the book cover in Japan|
(I think they probably ought to be listing the "English for Asia" edition!)
- Many thanks to those who have shared photos of the book in bookshops. I get a really big thrill about these - it's like sending your children out into the world and being surprised where they get to. That's very 'cheesy' I know but I'm not going to lie that's really what it feels like! I absolutely loved it when I got the very first one (in New York - below) from Bernadette Madden. I'm also posting these to Facebook - and now the bookshops are joining in as well!
- plus, of course, the bookshops have been listing it. All those in the UK will know that getting listed by a chain like WH Smith is a very big deal! I've even discovered online book sites in Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Poland, the Czech Republic, India, USA and New Zealand which are listing it (even if it is not yet available to order at the latter - presumably they're waiting for stock)!
- and finally Drawing 365 has been listed on Goodreads
The article about my Book on Artists Network
Drawing Basics: Learn 10 New HabitsBy: Cherie Haas, Online Editor | January 13, 2015
|I cannot tell you how weird it feels to know that MY BOOK is in |
Barnes and Noble bookshop at 54th and 3rd in New York City!!!
Very many thanks to Bernadette Madden for the photo
Note: My book is one book inside - but it has three different titles, covers and publishers. These are:
- "Drawing 365" - published on the 1st January in the USA by North Light Books
- "Sketching 365" - published on the 8 January in the UK by Apple Press - this blog post provides the list of artists included in the book
- 365 Hints & Tips for Drawing & Sketching is the English Language version in Asia published by Page One Publishing.
My biggest thank you....
.... has to go to the artists who contributed images to the book.
I've started sharing information about who these artists are - and their images - on the book's Facebook page and will be continuing to do for some time to come! Sharing images has been considerably helped by the latest "3 drawings a day for five days" challenge currently viral on Facebook.
What I'm very struck by is how different everybody's drawings are. That's very much what the book is about - helping people gain confidence and realise their potential to be their own inner artist - with their own very unique style!