|Article in The Telegraph 18 February 2014|
I also see that the article has today generated 208 Comments. (Somehow or other a sub-strand seems to have turned the debate into whether or not Tate Modern is really a museum!)
Are you persuaded by any of the pro or con arguments put forward for banning children from museums?
There's more than a few expressing a view - with which I very much concur - that parents should be taught how to behave when bringing their children to a museum. How about some classes for parents on how to visit a museum with children?
I also rather like the notion that parents should be liable for any damage their children cause. Seems to me that could create quite an incentive to ensure that their children are properly supervised in all areas where artwork is not protected - or handed over to museum employees who might do the job of supervision rather better!
Learning Opportunities for Children and Families in London Museums
I do think it's a very great pity that more parents and families don't avail themselves of the wonderful education opportunities offered by most publicly funded art galleries and museums in London (ie you can't benefit from the tax exemptions unless you do actually educate!)
Below you will find links to the opportunities for children in the top art museums in London
- British Museum - Learning | Family Visits
- Tate Modern - Kids and Families
- National Gallery - Learning and Activities for Families
- Tate Britain - Kids and Families
- Victoria and Albert Museums - Families \ Education Centre
- National Portrait Gallery - Families | Young People
- Wallace Collection - Families & Young People
- Courtauld Gallery - Young People
Art Galleries and Museums
The original incident which led to the debate
- Eveining Standard"
- Horrified art lovers watch as children climb all over $10m work of modern art at the Tate Modern
- Our nine-year-old was just being 'anti-establishment', say parents of girl who climbed on $10m Tate Modern sculpture
- Huffington Post: Parents Of Child Who Climbed on $10m Tate Modern Sculpture Hit Back