Sunday, January 15, 2012

15th January 2012 - Who's made a mark this week?

Woldgate Woods, 21, 23 & 29 November 2006, 2006 by David Hockney
Oil on 6 canvases, 182 x 366 cm
Courtesy of the Artist | Copyright David Hockney | Photo credit: Richard Schmidt
The PR machine for the major exhibition David Hockney - A Bigger Picture at the Royal Academy of Arts is now in overdrive.  David Hockney is now all over the Television, radio and newspapers - which if, as I do, you happen to support people who paint landscapes plein air and think developing skills in drawing is very important is grand!

Here are some links to recent items about Hockney and the exhibition
Importantly for UK readers anybody planning to see this exhibition, the bookings for this exhibition are apparently currently exceeding those for the recent Van Gogh blockbuster exhibition.  Given the recent hiatus over at the National Gallery (see The Da Vinci Queue) if you'd like to view it I really would recommend booking

I'm seeing the exhibition at the preview on Tuesday.  However my sister is paying a flying visit from Australia in early February and - despite the fact I'm a friend of the RA and can normally visit exhibitions without queuing or buying a ticket - I've had to book a slot to take her.  The idea is to avoid exhibitions being spoilt due to over-crowding.  I can confirm it's very easy to book online and print your tickets at home.

The exhibition is organised by the Royal Academy of Arts, London in collaboration with the Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao and the Museum Ludwig, Cologne

Art and Art Blogs
First I have a confession to make.  I went to the Guildhall Art Gallery this afternoon instead of writing this post so that I could see an exhibition I'd forgotten to go and see.  I know you'll all understand!  Thanks to Charley Parker for reminding me via his post on John Atkinson Grimshaw.

Drawing and sketching
Landscape
Nature and Wildlife
Painting

It feels a bit odd to highlight with two people who aren't blogging right now.
  • I spotted an artist on Charley Parker's Lines and Colors blog who I'd not seen before. Probably because she's not written many blog posts.  I took a look at her blog and Irena Roman (Irena Roman Watercolors) paints delicious transparent watercolours.  She's also just been made a signature member of the American Watercolor Society.
  • I've come across various blogs which are reviewing painters - however almost all seem to run out of steam.  One such is the Daily Painter Review

Art Exhibitions

Exhibitions in Major Art Galleries and Museums - London / UK
Exhibitions in Major Art Galleries and Museums - North America
  • Bloomberg reports that attendance figures at the major museums in New York have been a mixed bag:
    • visitors to exhibitions at the Met are up - to 5.6 million - but Alexander McQueen generated a lot of that
    • while MOMA's visitors are dropped 11 percent last season to 2.8 million.  Bloomberg suggests that the previous shows were hard acts to follow.  I suggest Bloomberg takes a look at the visitor numbers for Tate Modern (5 million visitors in 2010) - see Top 10 Art Galleries and Museums
  • For some reason I can't fathom, annual listings of upcoming exhibitions seems to be confined to the UK.  Maybe it's something to do with distance - or maybe my browsers got altogether too personalised!  Where's the best place to look for listings of the don't miss exhibitions?
  • Yahoo news came up with North American art exhibitions in 2012
Calls for Entries - Art Competitions
Calls for Entries - Art Societies
Art Society Exhibitions
Art Education


Art Holidays / Workshops / Classes
Tips and techniques
Art Critics
Art History
Art Studios
Copyright
Opinion Polls
Webware, internet and blogging
and finally
  • Surprise, surprise! Artists are slightly more likely than average to live in top 1% households in terms of income according to the New York Times - The Top 1% - what jobs do they have?

3 comments:

  1. Katherine,
    As usual there is a lot here. You are making it tough to catch up. Still reading the copyright post.
    How was the Grimshaw exhibition? Wish I could have seen it.

    Check the link David Shepard's 'Wildlife Artist of the Year', It goes to Squidoo.com.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops - that's a mistake. Well actually it isn't insofar as I have a whole section about the award on a site based on squidoo - but I've done the wrong link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about the Your Paintings project, thanks so much for sharing it! What a great idea. Have signed up to start tagging.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.