Friday, August 23, 2013

Who Painted This? #41

Who painted this? #41

This is not the painting I was proposing to use this week.  Unfortunately I couldn't find an image of that online - which would have been a bit unfair!

This one takes a bit of working out.  I think there's enough clues in the painting - but some might find it easier than others.  I think it might take you a while to work it out as at least two websites are NOT helpful in this context.  You'll understand what I mean if you find them.

For those who've not risen to the challenge before please take a minute to read the rules - see below.

How to participate in "Who painted this? #41"


PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.
Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).

In short:
  • use your brains not software to find the answer
  • search using words only on a database of images
  • leave your answer as a comment on this blog
  • if correct it will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
  • if wrong it will be published
  • do not leave the answer on Facebook!
  • the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know

Who Painted This #40 - The Answer

Sunny Days (1874) by Lawrence Alma-Tadema, 1836-1912,
Dutch, active in Britain (from 1870)
oil on canvas, 
9 x 14 inches (22.9 x 35.6 cm)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
Interestingly this work is not to be found amonf the naked "lovelies" which comprise the website called The Complete Works of Lawrence Alma Tadema.

This is a link to the Retrospective Exhibition of Works by the late Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema RA OM at the Royal Academy of Arts in 1913.

Who guessed correct?

Who painted this #40? So many of you had started guessing correctly i thought it was about time I posted a really hard one.  Indeed until I posted a clue, there had been a dead silence from all those who normally participate in the challenge.

I judged the clue I gave correctly and suggestions started to come in - but not too many - it was still pretty difficult because the image is quite difficult to find on the Internet.  It's worth reading the comments to see how people got there in the end.  Thank you also to people like Jacqui Boyd who commented that she enjoyed the challenge even if she failed.

Congratulations to ALL those who got all or most of it right - this was a tough one!  Only 2.5 people got it right in every respect.

Congratulations to Tessa Spanton (a.k.a. Colours and Textures) (last week's winner) who was the first to work out - by some distance - that the painter was the Dutch-born, British painter Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, OM, RA.  That was a major achievement as the subject matter was absolutely nothing like what he normally painted.

However Bernadette Madden (Bernadette Madden) was the first to get all the details correct - including where it is located now - see the link to see its web page in The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art at Yale.  Again a major achievement as it's very difficult to find on the Internet.

Mark (Learning to draw: Learning to see) also got all the details correct and came in the day after Bernadette.

If you'd like to study how people get the correct answer try studying past challenges which are listed in the Page Who painted this? - at the the top of the Page. Since of the requirements is to say how you found it, you can see the various ways people get to the answer.

Just for the record - anybody who leaves a comment on the page which lists all the "who painted this?" rather than the specific blog post is not counted.  You have been warned!

11 comments:

  1. Title-D Day
    Artist-Richard Eurich
    Medium-Oil on Canvas
    Date-1944
    Current location-Imperial War Museum London

    How I found this-After looking closely at the painting a realized that in the foreground it depicted 2 ships off loading tanks.After research I found that such ships were used only a few times but that one such time was D Day.I can't really seem to confirm where the painting is but is is late and gotta go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artist.... Richard Ernst Eurich
    Title....Preparations for D-Day
    Date....1944
    Where it is... . Imperial War Museum
    Medium... Oil on Canvas
    How I found it... After quite a lot of going through Wikimedia and Google I tried the Google art Project ( I thought your comment on unhelpful websites might refer to one of the big ones ). I typed in war paintings and got the image and most of the details, no luck with the medium on Wikimedia , tried googling the artist`s name, got the image on one of those "reproductions on canvas "sites which led me to the medium. It looks like great painting, I`m delighted to have come across another interesting artist who is new to me .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine

    From my research Who Painted This? #41 is called Preparations for D-Day
    by Richard Ernst Eurich. The painting created in 1944 is in the collection of the IWM (Imperial War Museums).
    It is an oil on canvas, dimensions 76.2 cm x 127 cm.

    The image looked like D Day in WWII and it looked like they were disembarking. I found it in google images where it took me to IWM and when I hovered on the image I got the details.

    Kind regards
    John O'Grady

    ReplyDelete
  4. This I think, looks familiar, or at least the artist if not the actual artwork.
    I can tell it is from WWII so I am looking for war artists…

    Started with war artists/art and Normandy.
    We have the ocean, I suppose the English Channel, an Island, and what looks like an invasion flotilla, dirigibles, tanks, tents… the smoke mystifies me… camouflage?

    Anyhow… I am discovering some other great artists along the way, or maybe I'm getting sidetracked again, so If I don't figure this out all is not lost!

    One artist I discovered I would consider an UNKNOWN MASTER.
    His graphic works and drawings are stunning.
    The artist, Sir Muirhead Bone

    There's the big names of art history then there are these other treasures.

    Still looking, but I may never get to the answer if I keep taking these side roads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Got it! (I better be first this time!)
    I kept searching with Google search words 'war artists normandy' and arrived at Imperial War Museums website

    Here is the link to a larger image (Wikimedia Commons, Google Cultural Institute) which is a fascinating painting.
    http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/asset-viewer/preparations-for-d-day/6QFUdXFNyo5A4g?projectId=art-project

    Here is the link to the artwork where a description of the painting and what is called a 'Label' (further description).
    http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/8759
    An excerpt from the label, as it relates to the artists' wartime style, which would have been too long for comments here:

    "His wartime style has been compared to the sixteenth century Flemish painter Pieter Breughel whose work shows a similar attention to distant detail and purposeful activities. Indeed, the gaping ship’s doors seem to echo Breughel’s Mouth of Hell, making a visual equation between war and hell which agrees with Eurich’s Quaker background and beliefs."

    Title: "Preparations for D-Day"
    Artist: Richard Ernst Eurich (RA)
    Medium: oil on canvas
    Date: 1944
    Location: Imperial War Museums, Southampton Water, Hampshire, England, UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preparation For D Day
    by Richard Ernst Eurich RA 1944
    oil on canvas
    Imperial War Museum
    We thought it was a WW2 painting but quite hard to make sense of so got this up on the TV screen to see it larger. Could see tanks one with a cross and the opening to a large ship
    I searched a few WW2 artists, got nowhere then thought of the Imperial War Museum.
    Mr C did that search and came up trumps with the image.
    Googled Imperial War Museum, keywords top right paintings then to Category Art
    subject period Second World War, chose option Operation Overlord and there it was first on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is by the wonderful Richard Eurich

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did take a while as I had no idea who the artist was and looked up Official war Artists but turns out this artist is not listed on the wiki page.
    Looked up the Imperial War Museum website as I suspected it was connected to a significant event. I could have got the answer every quickly if I had searched the site properly. But it was late Friday evening, the tv with husband beckoned, we watch one program a night together.
    Today I started with the same search terms I started with and came up with nothing. Putting painting into Google images means nothing! Then I thought the significant dates that ended WW2, first VE day but then I remembered the actual invasion was D day. Success :)

    Title: preparations for D Day
    Artist: Richard Ernst Eurich
    part of the War Artists Advisory Committee Commission
    Date 1944
    Material: Oil on canvas
    Imperial War Museum, London

    Again, a great challenge and I enjoyed looking at his other work on a website associated with his family. However, this painting is not on it. Also an interesting interview with him on the Imperial War Musuem site

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katherine,

    Title of the artwork: Preparations for D-Day
    Name of the artist: Richard Ernst Eurich
    Date it was created: 1944
    Media used: Oil on canvas
    Where it lives now: Imperial War Museum
    How do I know all this: I tried a number of different searches before a search for “painting beachhead d-day” in Google images returned a link to the painting on the Imperial War Museums’ D Day page. This was a bit of good fortune because it is not a painting of a beachhead. The details are from the Imperial War Museums’ collections page. Is the answer to where it lives now sufficient? I assume it is in the Imperial War Museum in London, but I don’t know for sure.

    Cheers,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.