Friday, June 07, 2013

Who painted this? #30

Who painted this? #30
I try to keep images in this exercise topical and seasonal - and that's all the clue you're getting!  Who painted this #30 will be announced next week as per usual.

How to participate in "Who painted this? #30"


PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.
Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).

In short:
  • use your brains not software to find the answer
  • search using words only on a database of images
  • leave your answer as a comment on this blog
  • if correct it will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
  • if wrong it will be published
  • do not leave the answer on Facebook!
  • the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know

Who Painted This #29 - The Answer

Lilacs in a Window by Mary Cassatt
This is a case of one of those images which represents itself in different ways on different websites.

I always tend to stick with Wikipedia / Wikimedia Commons for paintings - however that's not to say that the latest version available isn't one that has been corrupted.

I did think the painting looked overhyped in colour terms. However if I look at the image on the Met's website then I see a very pale undercoloured version which is quite unlike the rest of Cassatt's painting.

I suspect the real version is very possibly somewhere between the two.

Maybe someone who visits the Met can tell us?

Who guessed correct?

Well a lot of you got this one right!  I'm allowing "private collection" and "Metropolitan Museum of Art" on this one as both are correct.  It hangs in the Met but does not belong to it.  However it's part of an anticipated gift.

However Jane Housham (Things to Make and Do) was the first to get the complete correct answer. On her website the second sentence of her "about" statement says "I have loved looking at art ever since I played ‘guess the artist’ with my mum as a child" so  I guess she's got a bit of a headstart at participating in this educational exercise!

Others who got it correct are:

6 comments:

  1. John Sell Cotman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonya - you didn't read the instructions. Try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Sell Cotman (1782-1842)
    A Summer Day Painted between 1827-1837
    Watercolor and graphite
    One of the leaders of the Norwich School of Painters
    His style is highly original employing clearly defined areas of color structured by abstract patterns and shapes.

    Yale center for British Art, New Haven Connecticut

    How I got there. My search was based on the following assumptions.
    Watercolor
    Plein air
    Pre Impressionism
    Pastoral landscape
    Went to the French Barbizon School first approximately 1830 to 1860. Then worked from there to American and British painters that met the above criteria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Title A Summer Day
    Artist John Sell Cotman
    Date 1827-1837
    Medium Water colour and graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream wove paper.
    Where Yale Center for British Art
    How I tried googling a few obvious words..cows clouds with no success, then went out to deliver a picture to a gallery . When I came back I noticed the figure in the picture is wearing a kilt, so I googled Scotland, Paintings and came on something I thought was similar. This ,the Bass Rock, Scotland was by Cotman , I googled him and A Summer Day soon appeared.
    Bernadette Madden

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s called ‘A Summer Day’ by John Sell Cotman, date done 1827 – 1837, Watercolour and graphite on paper. It’s at Yale Center for British Art
    I was pretty sure it was J S Cotman, or one of the other Norwich painters, so I google searched ‘Images’ using the words ‘John Sell Cotman Summer Norwich Museum’ and taking your hint about summer, I put that in, and added ‘Norwich Museum’ because that’s a likely place for it to be. Wrong on that point.
    And there it was in the second row of images. Clicked on it which took me to Wikimedia and hence I found the other information you require.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am probably last to get this because I had no idea and then I found it completely by accident after reading your post today on the major exhibitions and in particular the Wallace collections exhibition of Watercolours, you mentioned Girton who I had not heard of so I googled him which then led me to look at the paintings of John Sell Cotman and there it was.

    John Sell Cotman
    A Summer Day
    1827-1837
    Watercolour and Graphite
    Yale Centre for British Art

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.