Friday, September 04, 2009

Wanted: an art competition!

Grand Place Brussels on a Saturday afternoon

Following on from my recent Little Art Break in Brussels and visit to the Magritte exhibition at the Magritte Museum, I've been offered two FREE tickets for another Little Break to Brussels. The problem is that I have to give these away to one of my readers and in order to do that I have to come up with a competition.

So I thought the fairest way of doing it would be to get you all to suggest what would be a good competition - just to be fair about this. :)

What's on offer
  • a free pair of Leisure Select tickets on Eurostar to Brussels - travelling from and returning to St Pancras, Ebbsfleet or Ashford (assuming the train you want to travel on stops at either Ebbsfleet or Ashford. You have to make your own way to and from one of these stations.
  • The break can last as long as you like but has to be taken before the end of November
  • How you get about in Brussels and where you go is entirely up to you!
This is the Little Break Big Difference website for Brussels. You can check out dates and times of tickets in the ticketing menu bottom right of the website.

What the competition needs to involve

Here are my initial thoughts - but I'd love to hear yours as well.

The basics:
  • The competition will run this month - probably starting next week.
  • It has to be a competition! Simply put there has to be something about it which enables me to differentiate between entries
  • The theme of the competition needs to be something to do with how a little break makes a big difference
  • Since this is an art blog it would be very appropriate to have an element of art involved!
  • Post your entry on your blog and then leave a link to it in a comment on this blog
  • The people who arranged my trip and who are offering these tickets will shortlist the five most amazing/funniest/brilliant responses.
  • I then get to pick the final winner - and the winner gets the free trip to Brussels!
My idea for the competition: Draw pictures of what you (or your partner/friend) look like 'before' and 'after' a Little Break - but in the style of Magritte! Which basically means using pictures and objects in a symbolic way to reflect how you'd feel - and why you need a Little Break
I make use of painting to render thoughts visible"
René Magritte
It also seems kind of appropriate to have people try out the surrealist style while this month's poll about which art style you use is running.

What's your idea?
Now over to you and your creative juices. What do you think would be a good idea for a competition which fits with the basics. No prizes for this I'm afraid other than the kudos!

Anybody can suggest how the competition might run - and I can't wait to hear your ideas!

I'll round ideas up at the end of Monday and see what everybody has come up with! I reserve the right to think my idea is still best! :D (You can tell I'm quite taken with it can't you?)

Do let me know also what you think of my idea as well - and feel free to shoot it down if you've think you've got a better one!

Making a Mark reviews......

3 comments:

  1. Run a competition for the sketch done in the most unlikely place. Sketch must accompany the story. This ties in nicely with your ability to sketch in places that most artists find not so conducive to producing art. Encourage fearlessness, inventiveness and downright chutzpah!
    This should be interesting.......

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the competition would be lovely. But what about those who read your blog and can't draw/paint?

    Perhaps have those people write about a show or painting or artist they like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A little break makes a difference".
    If you take the words literally, it could be taken to be broken pottery, for example! You can't drink out of a broken mug. (perhaps I should rescue the broken plate from the rubbish bin....)
    For those who can't draw, perhaps photography might be permitted too...

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.