Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Why artists should blog

When he's not painting plein air and exhibiting and selling his paintings, Ed Terpening is a professional blogger for a bank in California and consequently writes with expertise on why artists should blog.

David Sifry of Technorati also reported earlier this month on "The State of the Blogosphere".

If you're an artist and a blogger, you'll find them both interesting reads. If you're just thinking about blogging you'll find them even more interesting! Do read the comments as well - they also have huge value in giving an insight into what is going on............

If you're not convinced, here are some statistics to make you think - and read more:
  • the global blogosphere is:
    • 50+ million blogs
    • over 100 times bigger than three years ago
    • doubling in size
      • about every 5-7 months - as it has done throughout the last three years.
      • every 200 days - as of June 2006
  • every day 175,000 new blogs are created (but only 8% of these are spam blogs - 'splogs')
  • the volume of blog postings is double what it was a year ago
  • 3% of the US population blogs
  • BUT 25% of the Google links are generated by bloggers - giving blog owners a higher profile than website owners
  • the most prevalent times for English-language posting is between the hours of 10am and 2pm Pacific time, with an additional spike at around 5pm Pacific time (that's 6pm - 8pm and 1am in GMT and 1 pm - 5pm and 8pm EST)
  • in the USA 4 times more people are reading blogs now than were 9 months ago
  • In June 39% of the blog posts tracked by Technorati 39% were in the English language; 31% in Japanese and 12% in Chinese
But it's always worth remembering that art is one form of communication which works well no matter what language people speak

Did any of the statistics surprise you?

Links:
Technorati tags: , , , , ,

Link to this post

5 comments:

  1. A very thought provoking piece of information. The blogsphere is indeed extremely healthy! I myself have noticed that my small art blog -- www.michaelspaintbrush.blogspot.com -- receives quite a few hits from individuals performing searches on Google. One conclusion I have made is that if I'm getting 'hits', it must mean that I'm painting subjects that interest people (or that I am very cunning in using popular terms).

    Thanks for this posting and your blog. I will be following you more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting. I'm glad I found you and I'll pass on your link.THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your blog Katherine.
    Love,
    Linda Blondheim

    www.linda-blondheim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I left out of my original post was how artists are natural bloggers because every piece of work we create is like a diary entry, eg, this quote from Pablo Picasso: "Painting is just another way of keeping a diary."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Katherine,
    You forever surprise me with the amount of information you provide us with...so very interesting.
    Thanks very much for this particular post. I'm going to spend more time studying it and seeing if I can apply it to my own blog.
    MD

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.