Friday, December 11, 2020

Two websites to resurrect - the question is where

What to do when your website host pulls the rug out from under your website


Today I discovered that my first two websites - Pastels and Pencils and my "hub" Making A Mark website - are no more. My Statcounter stats seem to suggest they disappeared sometime earlier this week.

On the plus side

I've had 15 years of free hosting from SiteKreator due to the fact that back when I was originally building these websites I recommended the web host - at the time - to very many artists who then adopted the host for their website and, as a result, I got upgraded to being a VIP customer. What I think they now call an "influencer".

Plus the websites worked well for many years.....

The page referencing my Portfolio website on my makingamark.co.uk website

On the down side

Sadly in recent times SiteKreator has been a platform which was 

  • VERY SLOW to gets its act together in relation to various online developments
  • had some very suspect developments - in terms of odd pages which would appear on my domain - which really got me wound up.
Plus SiteKreator sent me precisely ONE NOTIFICATION EMAIL back in June indicating that my site would go offline unless I upgraded and moved to their offering - and PAID!!

No reminders - nothing more.

I'm NOT impressed.

an extract from my "website Options" page on my artbusinessinfo.com website

How and where to move a website #1

Consequently I'm faced with either paying for new websites or letting the content go.

While neither website has been updated for some time (i.e. osteoarthritis makes making art difficult and I've still got a mega sort out job to do re. my resources info) I'm somewhat reluctant to let them go altogether 

What I'm doing in the short term

Here's what I'm doing

  • checking my own checklist (!) on Options for developing an Artist's website
  • keeping both domain names going with my registrar ( Namecheap - recommended )
  • archiving pages from the websites - using the Internet Archive / Wayback Machine - into Evernote (very easy and good practice for anyone with a website - and I find Evernote indispensable!)
  • identifying options for potential future sites - which might include 
  • comparing KEY FACTORS for choosing a host (see OPTIONS above)
    • storage
    • bandwidth
    • technical sophistication
    • pricing
    • (I'll do a blog post about this!)
  • thinking about how to 
    • prune and edit existing content
    • split the content between 
      • any new site(s) and 
      • existing new websites already in draft (on Weebly re techniques / genres / art materials)

Making decisions and building at least one new website


I think what's very likely is that between now and the New Year - which is always pretty quiet traffic wise - I'll start moving content and setting up one (maybe two) new websites.

Plus maybe blogging about choices and decisions.....

But blogging a lot less about art.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.