Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Adobe "on the rocks" of Apple macOS Catalina

Yesterday I got a brand new 27" iMac with a 5K Retina screen (because my old one died last week). This morning I set it up including upgrading to macOS Catalina which, as you may be aware, is a 64 bit application which does not work with 32 bit applications.





Which is when I found out that Adobe is obviously not equipped or staffed to cope with a very well signalled Apple upgrade to 64bit apps - and six months after Catalina was released has still not resolved the problems.

Bottom line Photoshop Elements - which I have been using since version 3 some 15+ years ago - is INCOMPATIBLE with Catalina!

I could not believe it when I read the following....
Adobe does not recommend that customers using old versions of Photoshop upgrade to macOS Catalina.


Incompatible versions (version 19.x and earlier) will not display in the ‘Older Versions’ list within the Creative Cloud desktop app.


Older versions use 32-bit licensing components and installers. Therefore, they cannot be installed and activated after upgrading to macOS Catalina. Upgrading to macOS Catalina with an older version already installed on your computer may allow the application to function in some capacity; however, you will not be able to reinstall or activate the application after the macOS upgrade.

from the Adobe website - Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15) known compatibility issues

This was somewhat galling to say the least given that 11 months ago, on 31st March 2019, I purchased Adobe Photoshop 19 from Amazon and installed via my Adobe Account - and in less than a year it is now UNUSABLE as it will not download to my new computer without problems.


Reinstalling does not work. That's because the installer works with a 32 bit system!!!!!

Adobe needs to get to grips with the fact that not everybody has the scope to wait around for ages while they work out to make their software work properly!

At first I thought I was going to have to shell out for PS Elements 2020 - but then I read the problems that version of the software has with Catalina.
Photoshop 21.0 & Photoshop 20.0.7 work with macOS 10.15 (Catalina) but have these known compatibility issues. You may want to remain on your current version of macOS until these issues have been resolved.
So basically Adobe is very definitely losing customers to alternative products. I'm absolutely certain I'm not the only one who has experienced problems just by the quantity of info I found online after running into this problem.

Pixelmator Pro - the cheaper alternative to Photoshop Elements


I've just downloaded Pixelmator Pro - which is fully compatible with Catalina macOS - from the Mac App Store - and paid less than half the price of PS Elements!


VIEW FULL SIZE Pixelmator Pro on Mac App Store

So far it seems to work - although it will take a little bit of getting used to after 15+ years of Photoshop Elements!

Guess who won't be taking out any sort of subscription to Adobe in the foreseeable future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.