The point of doing this poll each summer is that we all get to see how the art economy has changed and which marketing channels are proving more or less useful over time for selling art.
At the end of the month, I'll be comparing the results of this poll with the results from previous years - and highlighting in particular the changes in the last twelve months
If you've been feeling a bit isolated about any changes you've been experiencing, answering this poll will help you see whether your experience is shared with others to any great extent.
It's important that we try and get as many artists as possible to answer the poll as it's value to you all increases as the numbers responding increase - the larger the sample, the more robust the results.
The Scope of the Poll
The Poll is limited to:
- the MAIN way you have achieved sales as a fine artist
- ONLY sales in the last 12 months
- either the most sales in terms of numbers of artwork sold (ie the most pieces sold)
- or the method which achieved the highest net value sales to you (ie the most profit after related expenses are taken into account)
The Poll Options
The Poll asks What's the MAIN way you have sold art in the last 12 months?
The categories for different methods of making sales of fine art (excluding illustration) are:
- Art Agent
- Commercial Gallery: gallery artist
- Gallery: Invite Only Group Exhibition
- Juried Group Exhibition (Society/Competition)
- Gallery: "Rent a Space" Exhibition
- Annual Event / Art Fairs
- Street sales / Regular Art Markets
- Studio sales / Open Studios
- Word of mouth / friends and family
- Online: Via traffic from own website / blog
- Online Shop - eBay
- Online Shop - Etsy
- Other Online Galley / Shop
- Print on Demand Galley
The survey will run until the end of the month with the results being reported on 31st August. You can find the survey in the right hand column - just above "for your information".
Think about the last 12 months
Do please also comment about any changes you've noticed this year about your own personal trends plus your success or otherwise with different channels for selling art.
There are FOUR key questions about sales in the last 12 months are:
- Have you sold more or less - or have sales remained stable?
- Have any channels you've used changed in a significant way in the last year (ie sales have dropped off or soared)
- Has any significant increase or decrease in sales values you've achieved reflected any changes in your success (or otherwise) in trying/using new or different channels?
- Are you clear about which marketing channel generates the most profit for you?
Below you'll also find links to the poll results in 2008, 2009 and 2010 PLUS links to my "resources for artists" sites whichaim to help artists to sell art.
- 2010 - What's the MAIN way you have sold art in the last 12 months? (RESULTS)
- 2009 - MAM Poll (August) results: the MAIN way you've sold art in the last 12 months
- 2008 - What's the MAIN way you sell your art? - The Results