|Lewis Hazelwood-Horner and two of his large paintings about processing hops for beer.|
Well the exhibition by Lewis Hazelwood-Horner impressed me - and then some!
|Beer & Guns by Lewis Hazelwood-Horner|
|Lobb the shoemakers and sleeping on hop sacks|
|views of the hop fields and brewing process|
Instead we see landscapes without people, townscapes with anonymous people and portraits of individuals which rarely tell a story. It can get boring.
What we get with these paintings is engagement with both the process, the people and the place. It's real life and it's a really valuable exercise to be documenting these processes in 21st century Britain.
They're also very striking paintings - Lewis has a keen eye for a good composition and clearly demonstrates a real love of his media and painting.
“Lewis was such an engaging artist, bringing the spirit of our brewery to life through his paintbrush. Lewis has an extraordinary talent”.Samantha Rigby, Director of the Redemption Brewery
|Smaller paintings and studies done in situ|
The works reveal how old practices have evolved over time, showing the importance of the lightness of touch of a skilled and experienced craftsman (or woman), that cannot be replicated by machine.His residencies have included time spent at:
- Harvey’s Brewery
- Howling Hops Brewery
- Redemption Brewery
- Scotney Farm
- Truman Brewery
- Kernel Brewery
- Lobbs Bespoke Shoemakers
- Holland & Holland – Gun makers
- James Smith & Sons – Umbrella makers
- Freed Pointe Shoes – Ballet Shoe makers
In my opinion, any business activity which involves a craft or artisan process should seriously consider commissioning Lewis to undertake a residency. He is very clearly an artist who can bring their activity to life on the wall of their offices.
|Brewing beer and views of the hop fields|
"Beer and Guns" is at Mall Galleries in central London, between 19 and 24 September 2016. Admission is free and the gallery is open from 10am to 5pm (closes 4pm on final day).
If you're interested in figurative painting I very much recommend you see it.
|An exhibition with a big impact!|
The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016
Lewis's painting Salt in Tea won the Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016 in February. His painting was selected for the top prize of £20,000 and a solo exhibition from 3,828 entries. It also won the Visitor's Choice Award - and won Lewis a further £10,000.
The painting portrayed the work of the bespoke umbrella shop, James Smith & Sons, in London’s West End and followed a two year residency.
If you want to find out more about the Threadneedle Prize you should:
- visit the website - http://www.threadneedleprize.com
- read my past blog posts about the prize, the call for entries, the selected artists, the exhibition and the prizewinners. You can find my archive of posts below
The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016
- The Columbia Threadneedle Prize - Call for Entries - The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016: Overview of the Call For Entries and the changes since the last time this competition was run in 2014.
- Selected Artists - The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016 - Overview of the artists selected for The ColumbiaThreadneedle Prize 2016 - including images and links to artists' websites.
- The Columbia Threadneedle Prize 2016: Shortlisted Artists - Images of the shortlisted paintings for the ThreadneedlePrize 2016 and profiles of their artists.
Threadneedle Prize 2014
- Tina Jenkins wins Threadneedle Prize 2014 - announcement of the winner plus pictures from the Awards Dinner
- Threadneedle Prize 2014 - The Shortlist - A review of the artwork and artists shortlisted for the Threadneedle Prize 2014.
- The Threadneedle Prize 2014 - what's changed and how to enter - Review of the changes in the 2014 Threadneedle Prize and the Call for Entries.
Threadneedle Prize 2013
- Clare McCormack and Lisa Wright win Threadneedle Prize 2013
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 Exhibition - Review
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 - Shortlist announced - a review of the artists and their works shortlisted for the Threadneedle Prize
- One month left to enter £30000 Threadneedle Prize - Overview of the Call for Entries for the £30000 Threadneedle Prize (2013) for Figurative and Representational Art - deadline 4 July 2013.
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 - Selected Artists - List of the artists (+ websites) selected to show their paintings and sculpture in the Threadneedle Prize 2013 Exhibition at the Mall Galleries.
Threadneedle Prize 2012
- Call for Entries for £30000 Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Making a Mark - Overview of the Call for Entries for the £30000 Threadneedle Prize for Figurative and Representational Art - deadline 23 May 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: Analysis of entries - Threadneedle Prize 2012: An analysis of the art competition entries and artwork and artists selected and comparison to 2011.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: names of selected artists - List of selected artists for the Threaneedle Prize Exhibition 2012 - plus links to their websites.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Exhibition now Online - how to access the Online Exhibition of the Threadneedle Prize 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Shortlisted Artists - The winners of both The Threadneedle Prize (£30,000) and Visitors' Choice Prize (£10,000) will be announced at a special Awards Dinner on Wednesday 10 October 2012 - to which I'm invited.
- Review: Threadneedle Prize Exhibition 2012 - Review of the Threadneedle Prize for Painting and Sculpture 2012 Exhibition at the Mall Galleries.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: The Making a Mark Select Six - An alternative shortlist for the Threadneedle Prize 2012.
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - the Award Winners - Ben Greener wins Threadneedle Prize 2012. Robert Truscott wins People's Choice Award 2012.
2011 Threadneedle Prize
- Threadneedle Prize 2011 - a new selection process
- Shortlist for Threadneedle Prize 2011 dominated ...
- Threadneedle Prize: The Making a Mark Select ...
- Review: Threadneedle Prize Exhibition 2011
- Henriette Simson wins Threadneedle Prize 2011
2010 Threadneedle Prize
- Patricia Cain wins £25,000 Threadneedle Prize 2010
- Threadneedle - just another art prize in 2010? 22 Apr 2010
- Threadneedle Prize: selected artists 28 Jun 2010
- Shortlist for £25000 Threadneedle Prize 2010 announced 26 Jul 2010
- Threadneedle Prize 2010 Exhibition opens today 02 Sep 2010
- My Threadneedle Prize shortlist 15 September 2010