The winner will be announced before the Exhibition opens on Tuesday 24 September 2013.
I've included all the images of the artwork with the longest dimensions all the same length although in reality they are very different sizes. I suggest you note the size of some of the artwork! The longest dimension of some of these is the same as the same height of a very tall man! (For those who still work in feet 100cm = 3 feet 3⅜ inches)
Oil on canvas, 152 x 198 cm, £8,000
by Andrew Cranston
After Canaletto is a lampooning of contemporary art. It shows the gallerists Toby Webster and Andrew Hamilton of the Glasgow- based Modern Institute gallery standing dwarfed in a space and surrounded by crates of artists work as well as Scottish artist Jim Lambie’s distinctive striped floor pieces.
|Dead Labour/Dead Labourer|
Scaffolding plank woodblock, 185 x 100 cm
Woodcut print £720 (Edition of 6, 4 available)
by Clare McCormack
Dead Labour/Dead Labourer is a large-scale woodcut portrait of the artist’s grandfather, who died of Asbestosis after a life working on building sites. It is cut from four used scaffolding planks, the rough, functional materials mirroring the subject.
Training shoes, 44 x 17 x 23 cm, £3,000by
by Seamus Moran
Most of my work is about capturing a non-representational presence.
Oil paint and resin on canvas, 70 x 50 cm, £1,600
by Ilona Szalay
Lesson is a delicate painting depicting a swimming lesson. As with all her works, Szalay imbues the scene with a sinister power play between the character.
Oil on canvas, 66 x 152 cm, £7,600 by
by Harriet White
My work involves large scale paintings reflecting conflicting senses of intimacy and glamour.
|The guiltys gaze on the innocent |
Oil on canvas, 100 x 100 cm, £9,400
by Lisa Wright
The Guilty’s Gaze on the Innocent explores the embarrassment, confusion and awkwardness of adolescence and makes reference to 16th century portrait painting, likely to have been influenced by her two year residency with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Track record says the prize is Lisa's.
I must confess on my initial review (before I had the information about the artists - and had tracked back on their career histories) I would have expected the prize to be a close call between the paintings of Lisa Wright and Andrew Cranston.
I'll wait until I see the exhibition before commenting on the actual winner. I'll also be doing my normal selection of a select six to ruminate on - although this time it looks like I'll be limited to predicting what the public will go for. (I got this right last year!)
Don't forget that the £10,000 Visitors Choice Award is based on votes from the viewing public- PLUS you will also be able to vote for ANY of the artworks in the exhibition - but you can only vote at the exhibition. The Visitors' Choice Award Winner will be announced on 10 October, 6-8pm.
The Threadneedle Prize Exhibition opens at the Mall Galleries on 25 September and closes on 12 October 2013
You can read more about the Selectors on my Call for Entries. I've also updated Threadneedle Prize 2013 - Selected Artists with links to the selected artwork which is now also exhibited on the website.
More about the Threadneedle Prize
For more about the Threadneedle Prize 2012 - and the Prize in earlier years - see my earlier posts (and images) below
2013 Threadneedle Prize
- One month left to enter £30000 Threadneedle Prize 03 Jun 2013 Overview of the Call for Entries for the £30000 Threadneedle Prize (2013) for Figurative and Representational Art - deadline 4 July 2013.
- Threadneedle Prize 2013 - Selected Artists 08 Aug 2013 List of the artists (+ websites) selected to show their paintings and sculpture in the Threadneedle Prize 2013 Exhibition at the Mall Galleries.
2012 Threadneedle Prize
- Call for Entries for £30000 Threadneedle Prize 2012 03 Mar 2012
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: Analysis of entries / selected artists 14 Jun 2012
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: names of selected artists 21 Aug 2012 - this includes links to the websites of selected artists
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Exhibition now Online
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - Shortlisted Artists
- Review: Threadneedle Prize Exhibition 2012
- Threadneedle Prize 2012: The Making a Mark Select Six
- Threadneedle Prize 2012 - the Award Winners
2011 Threadneedle Prize
- Threadneedle Prize 2011 - a new selection process 26 Apr 2011
- Shortlist for Threadneedle Prize 2011 dominated ...08 Sep 2011
- Threadneedle Prize: The Making a Mark Select ...26 Sep 2011
- Review: Threadneedle Prize Exhibition 2011 22 Sep 2011
- Henriette Simson wins Threadneedle Prize 2011 06 Oct 2011
Other information about art competitions in the UKArt Competitions in the UK - this includes links to earlier years of the Threadneedle Prize