|Making A Mark: Trend in subscriptions (and reach) January 2006 - July 2012|
- The number of subscriptions to Making A Mark topped 4,000 - it's been a long slow climb!
- I got a query about how to add the email subscription gadget to an art blog
If you want people to visit your blog you need to help them.
- First of all you need to activate a feed for your blog.
- Then you need to offer your visitors a subscription facility - so they can remember where to find you again and/or get your content sent to them every day.
I also had a big jump in subscribers when I made the subscriber links and widgets really easy to find. To start with they were half way down the side column. It was a bit like having a business card which never got handed out. Once I moved the subscription links to near the top (just under the information about visitors/subscribers) my subscriptions started to take off in a major way.A simple explanation about how to add a subscription gadget to your blog
This was the query I received
Dear Katherine,I described the basics of what I do with this blog - you can find the instructions below. They worked - the art blogger how has an email subscription form prominent on her blog!
I am sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could help me understand how to acquire the "subscribe to this blog by email" widget or gadget or ?
I have a personal art blog on Blogger, and have been trying to figure it out on my own, but I don't understand how to get that emailing thing. Is it something that you must pay for?
I tried looking at Feedburner, but that wasn't clear to me...and I think I succeeded in putting a spot for people to "follow" my blog, but not by email, and I am not even sure I want that.
I can use my computer fairly well, but am not technically savvy, so I am probably just missing something and I don't know who else to turn to who is as blog savvy as you.
Again, I apologize for taking up your time, but if you understand what I am asking for and it won't be too much trouble, could you assist me?
Thank you very much,
I have two different approaches - and described the approach for each
Get Blog Updates by Email
GET BLOG UPDATES BY EMAILThis link code comes from feedburner. To get this GO TO:
Subscribe to Making a Mark by Email
Please note subscriptions only become live after you have verified the link in the email you will receive
- Google Feedburner http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/myfeeds while logged into your Google Account
- Select the Publicise tab
- Select email subscriptions
- Decide whether you want a form or a link - Feedburner provides code for both
- Make sure you choose the correct code for the blogging software you use
- Click the Go! box to implement the subscription form code (I choose to copy the code and then insert into an html gadget)
SUBSCRIBE USING A FEEDREADER
To get this in your side column you need to get a Blogger gadget.
- Select Layout format
- Click "add a gadget" and
- Use the "Follow by email" gadget
- OR Use the Subscription Links gadget