These are the posts to the urban sketchers blog by Lapin (Lapin - the blog)who was the official reporter for the symposium
- live from santo domingo - usk symposium day 1
- live from santo domingo - usk symposium day 2
- live from santo domingo - usk symposium day 3
You might also want to keep an eye on the blogs of some of the instructors at the symposium namely: Frank Ching Seeing.Thinking.Drawing - this is his post USK Santo Domingo with pictures of the people who attended workshops he ran with Liz Steel (Liz and Borromini) plus the "end of term" photo! Liz has also posted a huge number of photos on her Flickr account and this is her July archive on Liz and Borromini to date which is packed with posts about the trip - including the two days she was there before the rest of the sketchers started to arrive.
|The day before sketches by Liz Steel|
Drawing and Sketching
- Pete Scully has been drawing davis on bastille day
- Tina Mammoser (In the Studio, On the Shore) has done a post about her Drawing Kit - My Portable Sketching Materials
- Susan Abbott (A Painter's Year) is currently painting in Provence - lots of lovely colourful watercolour paintings to look at - which I'm enjoying as I know quite a few of the places she is painting.
- Rebecca Latham (Latham Studios) has written a very useful post which explains What is Miniature Painting?
- These are 10 Ways to Ruin Your Art Business - do you do any of them?
- Leah Markham was the guest blogger on ArtBizBlog with a marketing post about 4 Lessons from Naked Marketers
- Artsy Shark had Carolyn Edlund writing about Why Artists Fail at Networking - tick any boxes?
The Arts Council
- The Arts Council (England) last week launched its £7 million Digital R&D Fund for the Arts in partnership with Nesta and the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC).
- You can follow the Arts Council England on Twitter - https://twitter.com/ace_national. I find the twitterstream rather biased towards music and dance.
- The South East England part of the Arts Council (On Twitter as ACE South East @ace_southeast) is looking for bloggers who may like to contribute regional content:http://2012ace.tumblr.com. To find out more contact email@example.com
Own Art Scheme
- If you've ever wondered about the Own Art Scheme and the wisdom of being with a gallery which operates it, view these videos by people who have used the scheme giving testimonials
Art Economy and Art Collectors
- A painting by John Constable of The Lock sold at auction for a record-breaking some of £35.2 million - here's a BBC report and video which reveals an interesting back story re the owner/collector
- Edward Winkelman has a fascinating post Eyes vs Ears about buyers who pay very large sums of money for art.
if the only reason you're considering buying a work of art is that someone talked you into it, you're probably making a mistake you'll regret.
- Thank you to all of the people who commented on What is "Decorative Art"? DISCUSS. There were some very interesting comments and perspectives
Art Exhibitions and Art Fairs
Major Museums UK
- The Tanks: Art in Action has opened at Tate Modern - this is a fifteen-week festival celebrating performance and installation art (18 July – 28 October 2012). Here's a BBC video with Nicholas Serota explaning how the tanks will work. The tanks used to hold the oil for the power station. Should be interesting! (However Richard Dorment of The Telegraph signs off with a caustic comment in his review)
"a place where you can see the great classic works of the last 40 years"
Artists and Art Bloggers
- The Society of East Anglian Watercolourists is having a Members Open Exhibition at the
Edmund Gallery, Bury St Edmunds between 21st and 26th July. These are the members - some of whom win prizes at the RWS shows in London. I'm a fan of the still life paintings of Tessa Shedley Jordan and the rural landscapes of Phillip Rundall
Artists and Art Bloggers
I've been a bit preoccupied this week with getting ready for the very first Exhibition by Urban Sketchers London. I'm not quite sure how we managed it but the same month as we set up we got the nod to an exhibition in Foyles at the same time as they promoted the book. Of course we then had to wait weeks and weeks for the book to be reprinted for the third time so they could actually get their hands on some copies!
Anyway here's a couple of posts
- first - all my sketches laid out on my kitchen floor for their photocall! The Art of Urban Sketching - at Foyles in London
- second - Urban Sketches - printed, matted, framed, and hung! after than hang yesterday
- PLUS this is The London Sketchbook Challenge - Call for Entries which relates to the next Sketching Exhibition to be held by Foyles later this month.
On to other artists
- Belinda del Pesco (Belinda del Pesco Fine Art) and Laura Wambsgans are having a joint show Pavement to Pastures at Gale's Restaurant in Pasadena, California. The show continues until 22nd September
- Haidee-Jo Summers who lives in Britanny - and who we last saw getting very wet on the Milennium Bridge painting the Jubilee River Pageant has her 2012 Exhibition coming up - 'Ma vie en couleurs' takes place at the Nottingham Society of Artists Trust Gallery in Nottingham between the 16th and 22nd July.
- In a normal year 25,000 people turn up to see c. 400 demonstrators at Art In Action is at Waterperry House, Waterperry, Oxfordshire, OX33 1JZ between 19 July 2012 - 22 July 2012. These are the demonstrating artists. I say in a normal year because we've had such unprecedented rain of late (record months for rainfall in April and June - and July is bidding to do the same!) that major outdoor events are being cancelled all over the country! I'm not at all surprised to see their website with the njunction to "Bring Your Wellies"!
Tips and techniques
- James Gurney (Gurney Journey) shares his Top Ten Color Tips in the upcoming issue of International Artist (August/September #86). This complete his series of ten posts about Atmospheric Effects - and in the next issue he'll be starting a new series of articles on another topic!
- Stapleton Kearns (Stapleton Kearns) has some painting tricks
- tubing paint again is about how he gets a shipment of paint into tubes. He gets about 6 or 7 big tubes out of a quart of paint.
- Another little trick I know 2 for cutting a roll of linen.
- Marion Boddy Evans provides the answer to How Long Does Acrylic Last in a Tube?
Art Materials and Supplies
- Do you like looking through paint catalogues? How about ones from the nineteenth century. Here are links to some old Winsor & Newton catalogues - check out how paint progressed over the course of some 50 years in the latter half of the nineteenth century
- Historical Winsor & Newton Catalogue 1849
- Historical Winsor & Newton Catalogue 1863
- Historical Winsor & Newton Catalogue 1896
- Robyn Sinclair (Have dogs, will travel) has been enjoying her new Sennelier Paints and the new range of watercolour colours
- While Belinda del Pesco (Belinda del Pesco Fine Art) has been experimenting with watercolour over clear gesso
- How many of you are a teeny weeny bit lazy when it comes to passwords for your computer and internet sites? Here's Facecrooks's Top ten commandments of password protection.
- You can get a technical preview of the new Office 365 - the online version of the latest Microsoft Office product . It's available to download and test at www.office.com/preview. It's only available for Windows 7 and 8.
Many thanks to James Hobbs for coming up with the sign-off for this week.