|The 25th Anniversary edition of Making Color Sing|
This is my regular monthly update of Makingamark's Top 10 Fine Art Books. I took a look at the top rated and best selling art books at the end of December and have updated and republished my website with the results. Click the link to visit the site
Key Notes for December
- Christmas gifts probably have an influence on what got bought and what got rated in December. Unsurprisingly The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (which is now 10 years old in its current edition) returned to the top slot as best selling drawing book. It's one of the best selling art books of all time - as in millions sold!
- Many top books from previous months stayed in their top slots
- However Art Business had a change in both categories - probably because I tried doing the interrogation a slightly different way
- Getting Your Sh*t Together: A Manual for Teaching Professional Practices To Artists: by Karen Atkinson and GYST Ink is in the top rated business book for artists - although its focus is about how to teach business to artists!
- Leo and His Circle: The Life of Leo Castelli is the best selling art business book - although I suspect this has got more to do with intrigue about him then the what the book teaches us. The consensus is that there's a bit too much biography and not enough art.
- James Gurney's (Gurney Journey) new book Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter maintained its listing as the top book in three categories - (possibly due to its release date?)
- best selling book in Painting
- top rates new art book
- best selling new art book
- I have given up wondering - since this is not a book on the shelves of art book shops in the UK - and have got round to buying The Watercolorist's Essential Notebook - Landscapes. It arrived just before Chritsmas and I have dipped into it - and I think I can see why it does so well.
- Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects by: Christine Schmidt looks REALLY interesting!
- I'm ever so pleased to see that in this era of cutbacks and really good books going out of print that Jeanne Dobie's book has survived - Making Color Sing, 25th Anniversary Edition: Practical Lessons in Color and Design is published next wee. It comes highly recommended by me.
- I know thast Deborah Paris was very excited to get her copy of A History of American Tonalism,1880-1920 by David Adams Cleveland - which looks like it's the definitive word on the subject
- On Line: Drawing Through the Twentieth Century was published on 31st December - and looks fascinating.
- DRAWING - Top Rated Drawing Book in December 2010
- DRAWING - Best Selling Drawing Book in December 2010
- PAINTING - Top Rated Painting Book in December 2010
- PAINTING - Best Selling Painting Book in December 2010
- ARTISTS - Top Rated Art Book in December 2010
- ARTISTS: Best Selling Art History Book in December 2010
- THE ART BUSINESS: Top Rated Art Book in December 2010
- THE ART BUSINESS - Best Selling Art Book in December 2010
- NEW BEST SELLER in December 2010
- NEW TOP RATED in DECEMBER 2010
- PLUS - THE TOP 10 NEW ART BOOKS IN DECEMBER