- Intellectual property covers Copyright; Designs; Patents and Trade Marks.
- Orphan artworks are works of art where the person who created it cannot be found - even if they can be identified.
Visual artists need to know how to protect their images and intellectual property - both on the the internet and in the wider marketplace where artists have to deal with the fact that not all countries operate copyright law in exactly the same way.
At the same time they need to ensure they are not disadvantaged by new proposals for dealing with orphan artworks.
What does the new site contain?
It provides links to the main official sites dealing with intellectual property and copyright. It also links to books about copyright and intellectual property; sites discussing fair use, creative commons licences and projects; proposals about orphan works; blogs and other sites which are helpful to those wanting to deal with the practical aspects of art law and current practices and infringements relating to copyright and intellectual property.
Just click on a link to go straight to that topic
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works & WIPO
- Berne Convention - summary of the content
- Copyright in the UK
- BOOKS: Copyright and the Visual Arts
- Copyright and Intellectual Property in the USA
- Copyright Law in the USA
- BOOKS: About Copyright
- Fair Use
- Creative Commons
- Orphan Works proposals - and what they mean for artwork, artists and bloggers
- Copyright and the law for visual artists - helpful blogs
- Copyright and content theft - helpful blog posts
- HOW TO: Stop Plagiarism
- Useful tools - for finding and/or dealing with scrapers, thieves and plagiarists
- Comments and suggestions
Other sites of interest to the visual artist
If you've not visited them before you might also like to check out my other sites which are also relevant to the business end of being an artist
- The Art Business - Resources for Artists
- Blogging for Artists
I need to also draw your attention to.....
DISCLAIMER Please note that I am not a lawyer. I am not engaged in offering professional or legal advice. I take no responsibility for and have no liability in relation to your reliance on any of the information offered by the sites listed on the new website. I'm just sharing what I've found. Most of the people writing on the internet are sharing their experiences and offering their opinions. It's up to you to make sure your research is thorough enough for your purposes. If you need professional advice then I suggest you contract with the appropriate professional.