Monday, July 10, 2023

The LinkedIn Services Page - for Artists, Art Societies and Art Teachers

I've just created a Linked In Services Page associated with my Linked In Profile. 

  • It's not yet finished as I think need to do more 
  • plus it could do with a few reviews from people who've experienced my writing, teaching, talks etc
I'm very much still feeling my way around this aspect of LinkedIn and hence this is by far from a comprehensive expert commentary on the topic!

However it got me thinking about how artists can use LinkedIn to develop their career paths and business income.

Why I developed a Service Page on LinkedIn

I have to say

  • I'm happy to say I provide services 
  • BUT I'm not into aggressive marketing 
  • because all current activities must be fitted in around 
    • the exercise I need to do on a daily basis to keep the arthritis from getting worse and 
    • yet more surgery for those joints which have already failed 
    • plus I'm now semi-retired (and 68!) and slowing down following my initial early retirement and heavy duty blogging / website development career about art.
However I'm not averse to taking on clients - both organisations and individuals - with new assignments. (see my Would you like me to help page on Art Business Info for Artists - which explains how it works and provides a form for contacting me)

Katherine Tyrrell - some media examples on my NEW Services Page on Linked In

BELOW I'm going to discuss and comment on
  • What is a LinkedIn Service Page? - which is mainly a commentary on me trying to find my way about!
PLUS what are the benefits for
  • Artists on Linked In
  • Art Societies on Linked In
  • Art Teachers on Linked In
and later this week I'll highlight MORE about:
  • Some Do's and Don'ts about Linked in - or how to make the most of it!

What is a LinkedIn Service Page?


I can do no better at the moment than highlight what the website tells us about the service page. As I said I'm still finding my way around and opening a new tab for each useful looking page and then trying to work out how they relate to one another

This is the link to 
Service providers can create a Service Page on LinkedIn. Service Pages are free dedicated landing pages that showcase services and businesses, and operate on a request and proposal model. Potential clients can contact providers for free, regardless of connection degree.

In general, the steps to work with a service provider on LinkedIn are:
  • A potential client searches for a provider on LinkedIn or through the Services Marketplace. When the client clicks on a provider, they're directed to the provider’s Service Page.
  • The client submits a project request (request for proposal) to a provider.
  • The provider responds with a proposal to express interest in the project. Your response time average from the past 180 days will be displayed on your Service Page if you respond to inquiries within 24 hours, and your response rate average will be displayed if you respond to at least 80% of inquiries.
  • Once the client receives a desirable proposal, the client and provider agree on the terms of the project and the provider completes the work.
  • Payment for project completion happens through the service provider’s preferred process, outside of LinkedIn.com.
  • The provider can invite the client to write a review.

These are links to the tasks involved

plus maybe you're in the market for a service from somebody else

So this is my LinkedIn Page BEFORE THE SERVICE PAGE

The red line highlights the offer - to showcase services

This is my LinkedIn Page BEFORE THE SERVICE PAGE.

It invites you to click on the link to see the Service Page - however while signed in I can only see the Admin version - and I want to see the version that other people see!




Artists on Linked In

You may be surprised to know that there are lots of artists on Linked In.
  • mostly they post about their latest artwork or exhibitions they are in
  • some actively market for commissions or illustration assignments
  • you can search LinkedIn for specific types of art - for example, this is what comes up if I search on "Botanical Art"

Do you as an artist need to be on LinkedIn?

No - it's certainly not essential to be on LinkedIn - BUT:
  • you'll get more interest in your work
  • from a group which tends to be much more focused on Millennials and business professionals who tend to make up the majority of the platform's users.  
  • you'll access people with a higher income level than most of those reading social media
If you have a Services Page, you also open up the potential to market customised artwork and/or commissions.


what comes up when you search for people re. "botanical art"

This is what comes up for the search query "portrait commissions" and I've taken the liberty of including my "first line contacts" within the people filter on LinkedIn for this one i.e. they are all people I know and have met.



Art Societies on Linked In

I went to Linked In today to follow an art society I know well which has just set up its own Linked In Page.

While there I took a look to see how many art societies have got a Linked In Page - and there's some but they mainly seem to be American.

Here's my thoughts on Linked in and Art Societies:
  • I don't think art societies NEED a LinkedIn Page. 
  • What they do need is some form of very effective and informative online presence.
  • A LinkedIn Page opens up a new potential audience for society activities of every kind - and maybe potential future members 
It also shows you how other organisations market what they do and how they do it.


Art Teachers on Linked In

Teaching art and LinkedIn are not a good mix as yet

I found the art teaching on LinkedIn generates both very extensive lists and at the same time is not sufficiently geared up to filtering to produce good quality lists (i.e.teaching what and where)

Maybe it's because not enough art teachers are on LinkedIn?

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.