Friday, May 10, 2013

Who painted this? #27

Apologies for the lack of a Who Painted this? last week - but last Friday was the day after my eye surgery and I needed a break (see Normal vision will be resumed as soon as possible) because it wasn't very to look at the screen.  This post takes quite a long time to set up as I seem to look at an awful lot of images before settling on one - so I decided to skip a week - and a few days of posting!

Anyway, I have a very nice image for you this week.  Not your usual sort of painting - but then you wouldn't expect anything too easy would you?

I suspect this will be either a "get it straight away" or "lots of searches and blind allies - and lots of learning about art history" - which is of course why I do this!  You might also learn a bit about dogs on the way! ;)
Who painted this? #27

How to participate in "Who painted this? #27"


PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.


Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).

In short:
  • use your brains not software to find the answer
  • search using words only on a database of images
  • leave your answer as a comment on this blog
  • if correct it will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
  • if wrong it will be published
  • do not leave the answer on Facebook!
  • the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know
Self Portrait attributed to
Gian Lorenzo Bernini

Who Painted This #26 - The Answer


  • Title of the artwork: Self Portrait
  • Name of the artist who created this artwork: Gian Lorenzo Bernini
  • Date it was created: c.1630
  • Media used: chalk on paper 21.5 x 27.5 cm
  • Where it lives nowAshmolean Museum, Oxford, UK

Who guessed correct?

A lot of you fell into my artistic "mantrap".  Yes - he did indeed look very much as if he might be Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez - but in reality this answer was the wrong country and wrong man - but very much the right sort of time.

This self-portrait drawing by Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598 – 1680) was done in Italy whereas Velasquez (1599 – 1660) was born in Spain.  Maybe the moustache and haircut were both a style of the time?

You can see self portraits by the two artists on Wikimedia - these are Bernini's self-portraits and these are Velasquez self portraits

Congratulations to Barbara Jackson (Painting with Pencil) who got the complete correct answer first.

Others who also got the correct answer were:
Ilaria Rosselli del Turco and Treeshark both got the name of the artist right.

16 comments:

  1. Lion: A Newfoundland Dog

    Object:
    Oil painting

    Place of origin:
    Great Britain, UK (probably, painted)

    Date:
    1824 (painted)

    Artist
    Edwin Landseer, born 1802 - died 1873 (artist)

    Materials and Techniques:
    oil on canvas

    I googled Scottish Landscape Artists large dog and there it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,

    I’m glad you are recovering.

    Title of the artwork: Lion: A Newfoundland Dog
    Name of the artist who created this artwork: Edwin Landseer
    Date it was created: 1824
    Media used: Oil on canvas
    Where it lives now: Victoria and Albert
    How I know all this: I was looking at The Monarch of the Glen last week and this seemed similar in style. I checked Landseer on Google Art Project and there it was. The details came from the V&A website

    All the best,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO. 27
    Title:Lion, a Newfoundland dog
    Medium: Oil
    Painter: Sir Edwin Henry Landseer
    When: 1824
    Where: Victoria and Albert Museum
    How: I have a very old book of Landseer drawings and thought the painting looked familiar, so I looked up Landseer and there it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, quite easy this one recognised it as a Newfoundland straight away and that Landseer painted them, and that a variety of the breed was named after him.

    Sir Edwin Henry Landseer
    Lion: A Newfoundland Dog
    1824
    Oil Painting
    Victoria and Albert Museum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Title: Lion, A Newfoundland Dog
    by Sir Edwin Landseer
    1824
    oil on canvas
    it is at the Victoria and Albert
    museum- room 82 on the north wall

    I happen to be a fan of Edwin Landseer, his stag and dog paintings continue to be an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Lion, a Newfoundland Dog"
    by Sir Edwin Landseer
    painted 1824
    oil on canvas
    currently at the Victoria and Albert
    museum, room 82, North wall.

    I happen to be a fan of Landseer, and have many of his stag and dog paintings in a personal folder in my puter.

    ~Susan Lewis, artist,
    Beankitty Studio

    ReplyDelete
  7. The painting is: 'Lion -- A Newfoundland Dog'
    By Sir Edwin Landseer
    An oil painting
    Painted in 1824 for W H de Merle, the dog's owner.
    Now in The Victoria and Albert museum

    DAVID HAWSON
    davidhawson.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The painting is: 'Lion -- A Newfoundland Dog'
    By Sir Edwin Landseer
    An oil painting
    Painted in 1824 for W H de Merle, the dog's owner.
    Now in The Victoria and Albert museum

    DAVID HAWSON
    davidhawson.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The painting is: 'Lion -- A Newfoundland Dog'
    By Sir Edwin Landseer
    An oil painting
    Painted in 1824 for W H de Merle, the dog's owner.
    Now in The Victoria and Albert museum

    DAVID HAWSON
    davidhawson.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lion:"A Newfoundland Dog"
    Oil Painting
    Sir Edwin Henry Landseer
    English
    1824
    Collection Victoria and Albert Museum
    I knew what kind of dog it was. Have been to Newfoundland and got splashed by a very wet one of these. From there googled painting of Newfoundland dog...the painting came right up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I had know exactly what type of dog this was it would have been quicker.Instead I spent most of my time researching different dog breeds.However once I found out that it was a Newfoundland dog it easier.
    Title-Lion: A Newfoundland Dog'
    Medium-Oil painting
    Artist-Sir Edwin Henry Landseer
    England
    Date-1824
    Located- Victoria and Albert Museum

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually got this straight away. Newfoundland dog called Lion by Sir Edwin Landseer 1824, oil on canvas, Victoria & Albert Museum London.

    Regards

    Carol Carbin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually got this straight away. Newfoundland dog called Lion by Sir Edwin Landseer 1824, oil on canvas, Victoria & Albert Museum London.

    Regards

    Carol Carbin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know this one.

    We used to have a biscuit tin with a picture called "Dignity and Impudence" on the lid. Those velety paws are a dead giveaway and typical of Landseer- so it was easy to look him up.

    It's an oil painting called "Lion: A Newfoundland Dog" by Edwin Landseer in 1824 and it's in the V&A museum in London

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sir Edward Landseer
    Lion: A Newfoundland Dog
    Painted in 1824, now in the Victoria and Albert Museum, Canada

    Hello,
    We had 2 Newfoundland Dogs, hence I read a lot about Sir Landseer up to now. Every owner of a Newfoundland knows him - I am at least convinced of that ;)

    I "stumbled" upon your blog through Wetcanvas, and as I knew the answer I thought, I'd post it.

    Thanks for all the effort you put into a blog like this with tons of useful information and inspiration!

    Greetings from Germany,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sir Edward Landseer
    Lion: A Newfoundland Dog
    Painted in 1824, now in the Victoria and Albert Museum, Canada

    Hello,
    We had 2 Newfoundland Dogs, hence I read a lot about Sir Landseer up to now. Every owner of a Newfoundland knows him - I am at least convinced of that ;)

    I "stumbled" upon your blog through Wetcanvas, and as I knew the answer I thought, I'd post it.

    Thanks for all the effort you put into a blog like this with tons of useful information and inspiration!

    Greetings from Germany,
    Gaby

    (there were several error-messages when I tried to send this comment. I really hope that you did not receive all tries - as I do not have the intention to spam!!! This will be my last try)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.