Tuesday, October 09, 2012

The Facebook Guide to Facebook Pages

A lot of artists are beginning to realise they need to use a Facebook Page for marketing their art and associated activities, rather than their Personal Accounts, when communicating with their collectors and other parties interested in their art.

I wrote a blog post a little while ago about the difference between personal accounts on facebook and Facebook pages - see Artists on Facebook - The Scope and The Rules.

However, when I wrote it, I hadn't yet come across the OFFICIAL Facebook Guide to Facebook Pages.  It's a pdf file which means that you can download this and keep it a reference document.

Page 3 of the Facebook Guide to Facebook Pages
you can download this to read offline
This guides you through all the different components of a Facebook Page in terms of:
  • its design, the apps and how the feature page works
  • the scope to create feature items eg 
    • by pinning a story (eg an exhibition announcement if you;re an artist) to the top of the page
    • by hiding or deleting stories
  • defining milestones eg you opened an online gallery!
  • identifying who your friends are - apparently I have a lot who are aged 45-64 and a very significant percentage of you live in the USA!
  • identifying how well your Page is working through Insights - and explains all the different aspects of this.  I find the response to different posts on the timeline to be very instructive in terms of what people like to read and click on
  • showing you what the activity log is and how it works
  • providing you with the details of how big the photos need to be for your cover photo
    (851 x 315 pixels)  and profile pic (180 x 180 pixels)
ESSENTIAL! Best of all it has:
  • a checklist of what you need to do to get started with a Facebook Page
  • a statement of what you must NOT do when creating a cover photo
  • a set of tips for how to get the best out of your Facebook Page
For example - did you know this one?
Publish visually engaging Page posts.
While a diverse set of post types is important, posts including a photo album or picture can generate 2X more engagement than other post types
So here's the two key websites for you
Do let me know what you think of it and do please share what you changed after reading it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just finishing up an FB event, which was fairly successful. Had some troubles along the way, but at the end of the day the sales help the bottom line, and I still have 99.8% of my friends. Maybe some new ones, too!

    The best part is learning about the many shadowy corners of Facebook. I will be looking at this tool you generously post, Katherine. My first thought was, "what is the date, because FB changes it's pages and tools frequently, and frustratingly! I also just got a copy of Facebook Marketing for Dummies. If I see anything worthy of sharing, I will do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I will admit I am very new and should do more research, thank you for spreading the wealth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful post. I've had a page for some time now and thought I had it pretty well worked out - but this has flagged up a few things I didn't know about.

    I will be using the Featured Post option from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Vandy, I've had a page for awhile now but picked up some pointers. I've also had a couple of sales through Facebook. Thank you for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.