Anyway, I have a very nice image for you this week. Not your usual sort of painting - but then you wouldn't expect anything too easy would you?
I suspect this will be either a "get it straight away" or "lots of searches and blind allies - and lots of learning about art history" - which is of course why I do this! You might also learn a bit about dogs on the way! ;)
|Who painted this? #27|
How to participate in "Who painted this? #27"
PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.
Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).
- use your brains not software to find the answer
- search using words only on a database of images
- leave your answer as a comment on this blog
- if correct it will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
- if wrong it will be published
- do not leave the answer on Facebook!
- the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know
Self Portrait attributed to
Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Who Painted This #26 - The Answer
- Title of the artwork: Self Portrait
- Name of the artist who created this artwork: Gian Lorenzo Bernini
- Date it was created: c.1630
- Media used: chalk on paper 21.5 x 27.5 cm
- Where it lives now: Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, UK
Who guessed correct?
A lot of you fell into my artistic "mantrap". Yes - he did indeed look very much as if he might be Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez - but in reality this answer was the wrong country and wrong man - but very much the right sort of time.
Others who also got the correct answer were:
Ilaria Rosselli del Turco and Treeshark both got the name of the artist right.