Monday, December 06, 2021

Surgery postponed - my list of exhibitions in London to visit

I made it all the way to the ward, unpacked and knew when the operation was likely to take place when it was CANCELLED (long story not for this blog!). It's hopefully in the process of being rescheduled for mid January.

So coming home again I started making a mental list of exhibitions to try and go and see.... 

and these are they....


ART EXHIBITIONS to see in London


Courtauld Museum

https://courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/

....has reopened after its major transformation project and I'd like to try and get to see old favourites again.

 

Hokusai: The Great Picture Book of Everything

Venue: Room 90, British Museum
Dates: until 30th January 2022
Ticket prices - cheaper to go in the week rather than the weekend
In a global first, this exhibition will display 103 recently acquired drawings by Hokusai, produced in the 1820s–1840s for an illustrated encyclopedia called The Great Picture Book of Everything. For reasons unknown, the book was never published, presenting the opportunity to see these exceptional works which would otherwise have been destroyed as part of the woodblock printing process.

Depicting scenes from Buddhist India, ancient China and the natural world, the brush drawings not only showcase Hokusai's inimitable style and skill, but also reveal a version of 19th-century Japan much more intrigued by the wider world than previously thought.


Dürer's Journeys: Travels of a Renaissance Artist


https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/exhibitions/durers-journeys-travels-of-a-renaissance-artist
Venue: Sainsbury Wing, National Gallery
Dates: Until 27 February 2022
Ticket prices: Standard admission £20 Monday – Sunday plus concessions

This is the exhibition which should have been held in 6 March 2021 – 13 June 2021 - but got caught by the lockdown.

I was really miffed I was going to miss this one so pleased I can now get to see it as I'[m a big admirer of Durer.
The first major UK exhibition of German Renaissance artist Albrecht Dürer in nearly 20 years.

Through paintings, drawings, prints, and letters, this exhibition follows Dürer’s travels across Europe, bringing to life the artist himself, and the people and places he visited.

Charting his journeys to the Alps, Italy, Venice and the Netherlands, the exhibition will explore how Dürer’s travels sparked an exchange of ideas with Netherlandish and Italian Renaissance artists, fuelled his curiosity and creativity, and increased his fame and influence across Europe.

Hogarth and Europe

Venue: Tate Britain
Dates: Until 20th March 2022

One that had completely passed me by - but I am partial to Hogarth. I often wonder why more artists today - with the exception of Grayson Perry - don't follow in his footsteps in terms of recording daily life.

Funny video provides a new take on the story!



Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 2021

(as in the Summer Exhibition being held in Winter!)
Venue: Royal Academy of Artists
Date: Until 2nd January 2022

This one I'm not sure about. 

I've found a number of the exhibitions disappointing of late, have let my RA Friends membership lapse (because it was extortionately expensive relative to the use I got out of it). 

However I have seen it every year in the past.....


The Botanical World of Raymond Booth



Venue: The Garden Museum
Dates: Until 6th February 2022

Raymond Booth (1929 - 2015) is a superb painter of both plants and animals - in oils - and I was looking forward to seeing this exhibition and then thought the dates were not going to work.

So this is one exhibition I'm looking forward to visiting - and I've already got the catalogue!

For more about this exhibition see my blog post The Botanical World of Raymond Booth - exhibition at The Garden Museum


Zadok Ben-David: Natural Reserve AND Elegant and Enchanting

Venue: The Shirley Sherwood Gallery of Botanical Art, Kew Gardens
Dates: Until 27 March 2022

I've been putting off going to see exhibitions at Kew as my experience has been that the walking to the Gallery and back - plus other walking re travel stretches me past my daily absolute limit......

However if weather is fine and I've no undue aches or pains I might try and visit these exhibitions.


  • Zadok Ben-David: Natural Reserve is the first UK-based solo exhibition to incorporate new and existing works by Zadok Ben-David since 2008. Brand new and extended artworks are featured, including the stunning 360-degree installation Blackfield which is made up of more than 17,000 etched, hand-painted flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.