- national art societies
- major regional art societies
- Deadline for online entries - Most submissions are now digital - hence the description. These are all highlighted in red where know. Most are known.
- Receiving Day - again where this is known it is highlighted
- Exhibition Dates - exhibition dates are stated where known. Most societies know that they need to book up well in advance of the date required and for many the date can be known more than 12 months in advance of the exhibition - so, in principle, it should be possible to have all the dates.
- Website: call to exhibit page URL - I've included the most helpful webpage on art society websites when it comes to telling people about the Call for Entries.
- I have to say I find enormous variation in the ease of finding this page and how accessible it is to non-members. Some seem to delight in putting key "things you need to know before you submit" on various pages and downloads.
- I recommend every society should get a blind test their website every year using an artist who knows what to look for - but does not know the website well. I guarantee some art societies will be surprised just how difficult it is to find the core data.
- Every page should be approached from the perspective of the consumer and what they need to know - not what the art society wants to tell them and where they'd like to put the information.
- I'm thinking of maybe running a test against the clock next year of how long it takes to find the core data......
- e-catalogue for 2015 - a number of art societies have recognised the sense of having a virtual exhibition online at the same time as the annual exhibition - and continuing with it afterwards online.
- This last year has seen some societies branch out into e-catalogues (i.e. the printed catalogue digitised and made available online for free) as part of their marketing strategy.
- Links to these are highlighted where they are available
|The FBA e-catalogues - via Issuu - were very impressive in 2015|
My blog also has summary details of the Major Art Competitions in the UK.
The art societies covered are grouped according to where they exhibit or the type of art society
- Federation of British Artists / Mall Galleries
- Bankside Gallery
- Subject Specific
- Media Specific
- Artist Specific
Federation of British Artists - exhibiting at the Mall Galleries
|Annual Exhibition 2015 of the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colour|
Those national art societies that comprise the Federation of British Artists who exhibit at the Mall Galleries - namely:
- Pastel Society
- Royal Society of British Artists
- Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours
- Royal Society of Portrait Painters
- New English Art Club
- Royal Society of Marine Artists
- Society of Wildlife Artists
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters
|The 2015 exhibition of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters |
- currently on at the Mall Galleries until 13th December
Societies exhibiting at the Bankside Gallery
|RWS Competition got non-members in 2015|
Other UK Art Societies - Subject specific
- Society of Botanical Artists
- Society of Equestrian Artists
- The Society of Feline Artists
- GAvA - Guild of Aviation Artists
|A group of drawings by Susan Christopher-Coulson2015 Annual Exhibition of the Society of Botanical Artists|
Other UK Art Societies - Media Specific
- Royal Society of Miniature Painters Sculptors and Gravers
- Hilliard Society of Miniaturists
- UKCPS - UK Coloured Pencil Society
- The Society of Graphic Fine Art
|Cases of miniature paintings in the 2015 annual exhibition of the|
Royal Society of Miniature Painters, Sculptors and Gravers